Chapter 13: True Love

The following evening, Caledorn shoved one of his only spare shirts into a small bag. He never carried anything more than what was necessary, and though the journey would be arduous he knew that he would not need much. Aside from a single change of clothes, he had only packed one other item; A scarlet turban that he had worn once before in Rhun. He had gone into that far eastern land in disguise, and was known there only by the name of Red Fox. He had joined a mercenary group, and while there had learned many of the customs and ways of the Easterlings. 

The journey had taken him on many adventures... Some of them perilous, some of them sorrowful, and some of them that brought a smile to his face as he thought of the absurdity of them. He remembered particularly the time that he and his friend had stumbled upon two trolls in the Emyn Muil, and how his friend had fooled them by playing his panflute that Caledorn had given him. 

He did not hear the door open behind him, so lost was he in thought and memory. Taliel silently walked to his side, her hand sliding into his own. 

"What are you thinking about?" She asked softly. Caledorn pulled himself to the present, and gave Taliel's hand a gentle squeeze. 

"Just times past. Returning to the East will be odd, that is certain. So much took place there, yet my time there was short." 

"Tell me about it," Taliel encouraged. Caledorn smiled and began to tell her the entire tale. How he had met his friend in the most unlikely of places, how they had traveled together through many perils. How they had saved each other's lives more times than he could easily recall. He told of their journey across the sea with the dwarven pirate Oros, and of the two blue wizards, Pallando and Alatar. He spoke with sorrow in his voice when he recalled the Battle of the Redoir, where many had lost their lives.

They talked late into the night, and they did not realize how late it was until they saw that the stars in the eastern sky were beginning to give way to the pale light of dawn. 

"It's nearly dawn," Taliel said, her voice betraying the sorrow that they both felt. For in the morning, Caledorn would leave. 

"We still have time," Caledorn replied, running a hand through her silver hair as she rested her head upon his muscular shoulder. She let out a sigh and interlaced her fingers with his. 

"Not nearly enough," She said. A single tear ran down her face, and she nestled closer to the dark haired elf. 

"We shall have many years of joy when all is done," Caledorn said, attempting to reassure her. He put his arm around her and pulled her close, for he knew that at the moment his words sounded hollow and meaningless. 

"Promise you'll come back to me," she whispered, her voice fragile with emotion. 

Caledorn's heart broke a little at her words. He knew that he might not come back, for he would have to get past the enemy army to reach Rhun at all. And even if he got that far, the following battle would be fierce, and his chances of surviving it were slim. But his heart desired, more than perhaps anything he had ever desired before, to come back to Taliel. 

"I promise," He said softly, his voice breaking at the words. He turned then and kissed her, a long, sweet kiss that he would keep close in his heart in the days to come. For that moment, all of the worries of the outside world left him, and he thought only of her. For that single moment in time, it was just them. No war, no Enemy, no guilt that lay upon him like a heavy burden whenever he thought of his quest. They parted for a moment, only to kiss once more. He could feel her passion, her love for him in her kiss. It expressed what she felt for him in a way that words could not.

 Both of them were reluctant to stop, for they knew that it might very well be the last time they were together. But as the first rays of sunlight began to peek through the trees, Taliel pulled away slowly. Tear streaks ran down her face, and her eyes were rimmed with red. Caledorn pulled her into a tight hug, his arms wrapped around her protectively. 

"I do not want to leave you," He said, his voice quiet and weak. He felt as if he was drained of his normal confidence, and that he needed her. That the only thing holding him together was her presence.

"I don't want you to leave," Taliel replied, burying her face in his chest. 

"Come with me," Caledorn said. He knew deep down that it wasn't possible, but at the moment he didn't care. He just wanted to be with her.

"I can't. Galadriel gave me a task of my own, and I cannot abandon it." Her task was to travel to Mirkwood with Edhael, and warn the Elvenking Thranduil of the coming assault. Elrond and Galadriel both hoped that Edhael's diplomatic abilities would sway Thranduil into sending aid to the dwarves and men of Dale and Erebor, but since he was no fighter he had needed a warrior to accompany him. And that warrior was Taliel.

Caledorn sighed, his heart breaking anew. He rested his chin upon the top of her head, watching sadly as the sun rose. A loud knock suddenly sounded from the door of his room, signaling that his steed had been prepared for the journey.

"It is time," he said, however as he spoke he made no move to let go of Taliel. Both of them seemed to want to hold each other for eternity, but another loud knock forced Caledorn to reluctantly let go. 

"Will you accompany me to the gate?" He asked. 

"Yes," she replied quietly. She wiped the tears from under her eyes and tried to smile, but she could not muster the happiness to. Instead she walked over to Caledorn and took his hand, tightly gripping it as they left the room. 

================================================

By the time the arrived at the gates the sun had risen fully, and the elven city was alive with preparations for war. Companies of soldiers hurried about, intent on their individual tasks. Caledorn had let Taliel ride his horse to the gate, for though he was tired it was clear that she was emotionally exhausted. 

He helped her down when they reached the gate, and gave her a final embrace. 

"I will come back for you," He whispered into her ear as he held her tightly. "I promise." 

"I will be watching," she replied. "I love you, Caledorn." 

"And I love you," he said. "My heart is yours, today and forever." He released her and mounted his steed, his emerald eyes landing upon her a final time.

Her eyes suddenly widened and she pulled a wrapped box from her pocket. "I almost forgot. Take this, and keep it close to your heart." 

Caledorn carefully unwrapped the box and opened it, revealing a silver necklace. It was designed to look like a star, with five points shaped like beams of light and a sapphire in the middle. He smiled and immediately clasped it around his neck. 

"Every time I gaze upon it I shall think of you, meleth nin," He said. 

"Farewell, my love," Taliel replied with a sad smile. Caledorn reluctantly spurred his horse on, and Taliel watched until he disappeared around a bend in the path, never again to return to Lothlorien. 

===============================

Chapter Song: Carry Me- Eurielle

Yes, this was a chapter dedicated entirely to romance. It'll probably be the only one in the book, lol, but I think it turned out pretty well(If not slightly sappy)! Let me know what you all thought of it!

And yes, I went on a bit of a writing spree today. I was going to space out publishing these chapters, but not having anything to publish makes me work harder to write stuff, lol. If I have that comfortable cushion of finished chapters I never seem to get anything done. So enjoy!