Dad Gives Me The Talk (And I Hate Myself)

S

A

D

I

E

I was now very glad that Carter and Zia didn't go to school today, at least that was my first thought. What I didn't expect was when I walked through the portal, there was shouting. I flinched obviously not expecting this. At Brooklyn House everyone treats each other like really close family, especially Carter and Zia. They loved each other. There was no doubt about it, but right now it did not sound like it. I quietly muttered a spell to make myself invisible and crept around the corner to the library. They stood across from each other, both of them looked equally a mess. I've never seen Zia actually cry and I've also never seen my brother not comforting her when she was upset. That alone made me sad. Carter wanted to help her, I could see whatever they were talking about was equally hurting him. Zia turned her back to him putting a hand over her mouth closing her eyes as if she were hoping to wake up from a nightmare. Carter reached out to her but then pulled back almost causing me to gasp.

Carter started to say something but thought it through again, I could tell by his expression. "I can't do this anymore." He finally says choking back a sob, "Zia, I..." his voice trailed off as if he had given up. That was unlike him, but I did remember what strange things love does to people, "I think we should break up." That part hit me like a truck, Carter had tried so hard to make their relationship work. This was so bloody upsetting.

Zia looked back at him her amber eyes were watery and her kohl-like eyeliner was running down her face. "I'm sorry..  I really am." She says biting her lip, "Your sister should be here soon... I-I'll contact Bes." She was like my brother in that way, pushing away her problems for less important things. To my surprise she didn't take another glance at him and then she walked out of the room past me. 

Carter put both hands on his face leaning against a wall, once he removed he hands he looked exhausted. I was still curious about what was going on between them, I figured that I would find out eventually. For now I had to figure out what my dad wanted and what was going on with Anubis. How would I be able to wait a week or two? I was eager to talk to him, he had said he missed me... but that's totally not important at all. I took a few steps back until I was out of the library then I made sure that I was visible now.

I cleared my throat and acted as if I had no idea what was happening between Carter and Zia. "Hey, Carter!" I called out from outside the library, "Did you get a weird letter? Because no matter what we're seeing our father together. Right now." I was about to mention something about bringing Zia this time, but that wasn't appropriate for this situation.

I heard Carter sigh then he walked out the room and looked at me, "You're acting awfully cool about your godly boyfriend finally contacting you."

Normally, I would've kicked him or punched him but instead I rolled my eyes, "Please, Carter. I am going to be sixteen in two days. I don't give a damn about him anymore. Besides, he only said something ever so simple as meeting our father in the Underworld." I must say, I was a pretty good actress because half of what I said was a lie.

Carter obviously didn't buy the act, but then he nodded, "Alright... I'll be ready in a few minuets." The poor boy looked devastated, I didn't know what had happened, but it clearly destroyed their relationship. Carter walked off in the direction of his room where he would most likely break down than quickly gather himself back together. It was an unhealthy habit of his, holding back his emotions. Maybe that was something that ran in the family.

I saw Zia standing on the terrace, a place where she normally went when she had to calm herself down. I would've walked out to talk to her, but I was sure that right now she needed to be alone. I passed by a mirror and looked at my outfit yet again, I wasn't sure if I wanted my father to approve or disapprove. I decided to just stick with this outfit considering the fact that he would be distracted by whatever he wanted to talk about anyways. It had been at least six months since I have seen my parents. They were always busy and I never wanted to disrupt whatever they had going on down there. Carter has gone there a few times, but I stayed back. Since this was a request I pretty much had to go or I would seem like an even worse daughter than I already am. I realized that he would probably talk to me about the whole Anubis situation. That's great.

I hadn't realized that I had been standing in the middle of the room for a long time. Carter came out of his room looking a little better than before. His posture was straighter, his expression was more serious and less relaxed. That was basically the definition of hiding your emotions. He cleared his throat, "Alright Sadie, let's see why you got in trouble this time."

I was about to protest but he made the portal and practically pushed me through. Travel to the Underworld has became an easier journey over time. All we had to do was say a simple spell and then BAM, instant transportation to hell. This time the portal lagged so we were stuck in between for a few seconds which made me feel slightly nauseous. It's like traveling through the Duat,  with the whole keep-your-eyes-closed-or-you'll-puke-thing. Only this wasn't on that much of an level. When I opened my eyes again I was standing in front of my father, (or Osiris), my mum, and Ammit... well, Ammit kind of just lied there. Dad spread out his arms as if we had never seen this place before, "Carter, Sadie, we have a lot to discuss-" He was cut off by mum.

"We need to talk to Sadie. Carter, we just want to see if you're alright... due to recent problems with-"

"Please. Don't." Carter said his gaze now at the ground. Mum looked a little offended, but she backed off and turned back to me.

"Sadie your father needs to have a talk with you... it's about um... relationships?" She looked back at my dad who had a very uncomfortable look on his face that I normally would have laughed at.

"So, you mean about that one god who I will not mention by name? If you are concerned, dear father, do not be. I don't know what part of I am almost sixteen therefore I am wiser than I was in seventh grade." I didn't mean to lose my temper, but I sounded very guarded which was a tone that I tried to avoid most of the time.

My father sighed and put a hand on my shoulder leading me away from the other two. "Look, I know you probably feel like you completely understand, Sadie. The truth is, Anubis is a young god and he doesn't understand how to control his emotions. Normally... he wouldn't feel things like that especially since he is the god of death" He paused looking over at me nervously, "What exactly happened on your thirteenth birthday before.. you know.."

Even my dad was uncomfortable. Pathetic. I didn't want to talk about that day, especially now. "He helped my friends and I, dad. He told us where to go that's all." My voice was hinting that if he asked another question like that I would snap and most likely break something.

He only nodded, "Can you promise me that it won't happen again?"

"No." I wasn't sure who was more surprised myself or my dad, "I mean... I can't promise you anything that I am unsure about. I can promise you that I won't make any moves on him. Like, I wouldn't want that to happen and have history repeat itself. Thanks for the talk, dad, but I think I have to go help my brother get through a breakup."

"Sadie, I was jus-"

"I don't care." I snapped, "This discussion might have been relevant back then, but now it really shouldn't be discussed anymore. Besides, he will probably go right back to work as soon as he gets back." I muttered the last part crossing my arms.

"He was allowed three years free... due to his service-"

"That you forced him into." I pointed out.

"-he won't have to return to his post. I'm just assuming that he'll see you."

I felt my face burning, but I covered it up with a sigh, "Is that it?'

"Yes," he winced at my tone, "Please, Sadie. Be careful. Danger can come in many forms, but don't let anyone break your heart. And I advise you check on your friend Zia as well."

Before I could he teleported me back into the janitors closet. With a clouded mind, I continued the last two hours of school.