Happy Birthday To Me (Hint The Sarcasm)

I woke up on the floor of my room, confused. I then sat up rubbing the back of my neck that was soar from lying against the door all night. Oh, god. Today was my birthday and I would probably be bothered by Jaz as soon as I made a single noise. I looked over at my bed and saw that he was still there. At this point I only had one option, I slowly got up and walked over to him. I thought about how to wake someone up quietly. I tried not to scream in frustration, that probably would have worked. I heard footsteps out my door and panicked, then I slapped him in the face. When I saw his eyes open I put a hand over his mouth, he looked very annoyed with me after a moment.

"Sadie?" I heard Jaz's voice.

"Yeah." I replied hoping I didn't sound as nervous as I felt.

"Aren't you coming down? It's your birthday." I heard her hand touch the doorknob.

"I'm getting dressed!" I practically screeched, "I'll be ready in like thirty minuets. Then you guys can bother me."

I couldn't see Jaz, but I assumed that she looked disappointed she loved celebrating people's birthdays. I figured that out when she woke me up at five in the morning on my fifteenth birthday. I've had time to plan excuses that could keep her away for a while. She sighed, "Okay, fine. Be prepared to have the best birthday of your life." I heard her footsteps as she walked down the hall.

I removed my hand from his mouth, "Sorry about that..." I muttered, "So, where are you going to hide all day? I'm just assuming that you're too weak to travel." I was being sure to keep my voice down so that it didn't seem like I was talking to myself.

"For once you made a correct assumption." Anubis said sitting up scratching his head, "I don't really know where I'll be to tell you the truth. I'll figure it out."

His expression was unsure and he looked like he regretted coming here. He kept glancing at me, but then his eyes went back to the ground. "Okay. I think you owe me an explanation now. Why are you here? Don't lie this time." I said crossing my arms.

"I..." He sighed and finally made eye contact with me and I wanted to melt into a puddle, "I had to see you again. I didn't want to have to wait and be sent back to Osiris to ask his permission to talk to you. I don't like the way that I have been... feeling things." He paused and studied my confused face, I noticed him inching closer. Our hands were barely touching and I couldn't stand it.

He cleared his throat noticing that I wasn't saying anything. The truth is that I had no idea what to think or feel. He had just basically told me that he had feelings for me. Out of all the people in the world he decides to fall for this horribly awkward teenage girl. It didn't make sense. He looked around and I could've sworn he glared at the picture I had of Walt and I hanging out as friends. I almost blushed at that. He turned back to me, "I think I'll manage to use some of my powers to turn invisible."

"Like I trust you wandering around Brooklyn House invisible." I said rolling my eyes at him.

"I'll make it so that you will be the only one that can see me." Anubis explained. I recognized his cute jackal-like features looking at him this closely. I found this very distracting because whenever he spoke his voice even made me want to grab him by the face and... yeah. He raised an eyebrow at me, "Um, you're being really quiet? That's unlike you, Miss Kane."

"It's just Sadie." I groaned.

"Just Sadie." He repeated.

I nodded slowly, even though I knew that he would never probably call me 'Just Sadie' just to get on my nerves. Honestly, I don't know how I keep my patience with him.

"You better get going then, Just Sadie. Before your friend Jaz comes back." He said walking out of the room which gave me the hint that he had turned invisible.

Anubis was just as aggravating as I remembered, that thought caused me to smile to myself. The whole situation was confusing and I didn't know if I should be happy or mournful. He had broken multiple rules all for me and that made me feel bad. It also made me feel important which was something I needed at this point in my life. I was going to try to enjoy my birthday this time. Everyone would probably question my good mood, but I will just simply ignore the, this time.

Now it was time for me to get ready. I had picked out an outfit a week ago, but it seemed to dark to match my mood. It was probably yet again another attempt at looking rebellious and reckless. I shook my head and pushed away the black dress. I normally didn't like wearing dresses, but since today was my birthday I thought I'd shake it up a little. I went into my walk in closet and put my hands on my hips looking around at all of the possibilities. After shoveling through almost everything I held out a dress that looked unfamiliar to me. It was a white dress made of lace and silk, with long sleeves. I immediately knew that this dress was the one, it wasn't too fancy or not enough. I placed the dress on my bed and went over to my jewelry box and opened it. Normally the only jewelry I would wear was the amulet that my dad had given me. I was tempted to leave it behind, but I didn't. Instead, I took out a black chocker that had a gold pendant in the middle to go with it. I wasn't going to wear heels because I didn't feel like tripping today, but I wasn't going to just wear combat boots and ruin the look. I chose a pair of brown western-style boots that went up to my knees. Once I was satisfied with my outfit, I got changed which took a few minuets.

I then looked in the full length mirror and smiled a little, it wasn't a disaster which was satisfying. Then I looked up seeing my hair looking ratty and annoying like it always did in the morning. I glanced over at my alarm clock seeing that it was already almost 9:00 am. I muttered a curse under my breathe and sat in front of the mirror. I hastily brushed my hair than curled it only a little so I didn't look like I was trying so hard. After another moment of brainstorming, I took the strands of hair hanging in the front and pinned it back. Now that I was fully satisfied, I cleaned up my room a bit, applied a light amount of makeup before heading downstairs. I immediately regretted my decision on coming down because as soon as I did everyone jumped out of nowhere and screamed, "Happy birthday, Sadie!"
It was seriously cheesy so I knew that it was Carter's idea. I tried for a smile but it immediately melted away once I saw Zia's expression in the background. She looked very distracted, which was odd. Then things got even worse, she fell to the ground. And that was when everything went from bad to worse.