5:28ᴀᴍ

« Each person is an enigma. You're a puzzle not only to yourself but also to everyone else, and the great mystery of our time is how we penetrate this puzzle. »
-Theodore Zeldin-

█████████████████████

chapter five

⠀⠀⠀THE NEXT MORNING when I woke up, I was feeling quite gloomy. it was Wednesday and that was all the reason I needed.

⠀⠀⠀I left my hair as it was. The soft waves cascading down the side of my face in a tumbling mess. I couldn't be bothered to straighten it today. I went to my closet and opened the drawer; it was filled with clothes that I purposely put there solely for days like today.

⠀⠀⠀I pull out a pair of dark black leggings and a loose oversized baby blue crewneck that had a hoodie. It was my favourite. I could never choose which I liked more, crewnecks or hoodies. So it was absolutely perfect that this combined the two.

⠀⠀⠀I slipped on my black vans and grabbed my shoulder bag off from the floor. I also decided it would be quite essential to have my earbuds today so I grabbed those along with my phone that was previously charging on my nightstand.

⠀⠀⠀I make my way down the steps and toss my bag onto the kitchen counter. I wasn't surprised that I didn't see my mom in her usual spot drinking her coffee, she always went early in mornings on Wednesdays.

⠀⠀⠀I decided to skip the protein shake today and instead decided to make the mistake of going over to the bottom cabinet where my mom stored all the alcohol. I pulled out the vodka bottle and took a quick swig before placing it back into the exact place I found it. As I swallowed, the burning sensation had seemingly no effect and I grabbed my keys and headed out the door.

⠀⠀⠀Miles was already waiting for me in his car like he was every morning. I got into the passenger seat and slumped in my chair while Miles started the engine.

⠀⠀⠀"no more drinking today bee."

⠀⠀⠀is the first thing Miles says since I got into the car. I fold my arms across my chest.

⠀⠀⠀"how did you know I was drinking?"

⠀⠀⠀I ask, not really caring for an answer.

⠀⠀⠀"you're forgetting who always comes to get you when you turn up drunk. I can tell when you're tipsy, Braylee"

⠀⠀⠀I sigh excessively.

⠀⠀⠀"its fine. I didn't drink enough vodka to make me drunk, just enough to make me numb."

⠀⠀⠀nothing else was said on the topic. Miles knew to let it go because as much as he wanted to be overprotective he knew my reasons.

⠀⠀⠀"I'll be waiting here when the bell rings to take you, alright?"

⠀⠀⠀I nod my head curtly and get out of the car. Miles remains in his seat but I don't wait up. I make my way into the school and down the long hall until eventually I'm at my locker.

⠀⠀⠀I empty my books into my locker. I didn't plan on doing any writing today so there was really no use in carrying them around. Just as I closed my locker and turned my body, I'm greeted with an all too familiar face.