5:59ᴘᴍ

« Perhaps one day, they'll understand
all the sacrifices she gladly made
out of love for them. »

-John Mark Green-

█████████████████████

chapter seventeen

⠀⠀⠀WHEN I WOKE up, Mason was still laying next to me, his arm holding me close to his chest.

⠀⠀⠀i wiggled around so that I could face him, he was still sleeping and I could feel his soft breathing fanning my face, and the rise and fall of his chest against my head.

⠀⠀⠀I really couldn't explain it but something about the moment felt so surreal. Like it wasn't even happening even though I knew for certain that it was. Laying here with him was something even my brain couldn't fathom, let alone my heart.

⠀⠀⠀I bring my lips to his and give him a quick kiss and almost instantly his eyes flicker open.

⠀⠀⠀ "i'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

⠀⠀⠀he places his hand on my cheek and connects our lips once again, this time, lingering longer than the last.

⠀⠀⠀ "don't ever apologize for waking me up like that again,"

⠀⠀⠀he says with a smile and I laugh.

⠀⠀⠀we both just lay still for a moment, the sunlight from the early morning filtering through my window, making everything seem so soft. Neither of us wanting to move in fear of this feeling dissipating.

⠀⠀⠀ "is your mom home?"

⠀⠀⠀he finally asks. I lift up his wrist and check the time on his watch. 9:32am.

⠀⠀⠀ "most likely already downstairs making coffee. She has Sundays off unless she's called in."

⠀⠀⠀I slip out of bed and put on my slippers.

⠀⠀⠀ "where are you going?"

⠀⠀⠀he propped himself up onto his elbow, suddenly very alert.

⠀⠀⠀ "coffee,"

⠀⠀⠀I say matter-of-factly as I chuckle. He sits up on my bed and runs a hand through his hair.

⠀⠀⠀I almost didn't notice how conflicted he looked. It made total sense now considering he probably thought my mom would not be to pleased to find a boy had spent the night in my bed. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how'd she react.

⠀⠀⠀ "you coming?"

⠀⠀⠀I ask. His head shoots up to look at me, confusion etched across his features.

⠀⠀⠀ "but your mom—?"

⠀⠀⠀I smile and grab his hand, urging him to stand up and passing him his shirt in the process.

⠀⠀⠀ "we don't keep secrets from each other. Plus I don't want us to be a secret.... unless you do?"

⠀⠀⠀I try to say it without cracking. I didn't want him to feel uncomfortable, but I would also not know how to react if he said he did.