3:54ᴘᴍ

« new love can heal lost loves, but it cannot make you forget. »

-Jennifer Megan Varnadore-

█████████████████████

chapter fifteen

"DO YOU WANT to come back to my place?"

⠀⠀⠀I really did not intend for that to come off as suggestive as it did. I just knew being in public wasn't the best for him right now and my mom most likely picked up another night shift so we'd have somewhere more quiet and alone to talk.

⠀⠀⠀ "I meant so like we could talk. You know, not... uh. I'll stop talking now"

⠀⠀⠀he musters up a small smile and it's all I needed. I start edging towards him and he gets the hint and exits the booth. We begin waking towards the door when suddenly the pit of my stomach drops and I run back to the table.

⠀⠀⠀ "wait!!"

⠀⠀⠀I picked my mug off the table and took one final swig, finishing off the insanely amazing coffee before swiftly jogging back to where mason was standing, smirking.

⠀⠀⠀ "ok I'm sorry, we can go now"

⠀⠀⠀he chuckles as we step outside. By now it must've been at least midnight or close to it, I didn't have a watch to check the time and was too lazy to take my phone out.

⠀⠀⠀a couple moments later, I felt masons hand brush against mine. Then, his hand slipped into my own, and just like that, we were waking in the dark, in a comfortable silence, hand in hand.

⠀⠀⠀it was moments like these that I treasured. Where everything was comfortable and it felt like nothing could go wrong.

⠀⠀⠀I was enjoying my complete ignorance and bliss until suddenly we came to a halt and I realized we had arrived at my home.

⠀⠀⠀I lead the way up the staircase and unlocked the door with the spare key. I clapped three times. It was my mom and I's way of asking if the other was home. I didn't hear a response so I went up to her room and peaked through the door. Her bed was empty.

⠀⠀⠀I hopped back down the stairs to see mason glancing at the picture frames that littered our front wall.

⠀⠀⠀ "just as I suspected. My moms probably still at the hospital, picked up a night shift"

⠀⠀⠀he looked over at me and nodded once.

⠀⠀⠀ "she won't mind if I stay?"

⠀⠀⠀my heart fluttered. I hadn't really thought that far. It made complete sense because there was no way I was about to send him to walk home in the middle of the night.

⠀⠀⠀ "nah. She's let miles stay over a bunch of times. He practically lives here"

⠀⠀⠀I say with a slight laugh.

⠀⠀⠀it was only then when I realized that neither of us had bothered to turn on any of the lights. All that was left was the moonlight that was filtering through the window.