ch6

"Dream child. Dream of the 'brother' you admired. Dream of the girl you came to love. Dream of the happiness they brought. Of they loneliness they saved you from. And then child, dream… dream of the red moon that took it all away…"

"This looks promising." Haku muttered to herself as she knelt down and plucked an herb from the clearing she was coming up on. Looking around she could see the clearing was filled with different herbs that could be useful to her or her master. With a slight smile she continued her work and gathered them up until she moved further into the clearing and froze. Lying up against a tree, clothes torn and dirtied in various places, was the blonde boy from Konoha. The one who had stolen Zabuza's sword and ruined his fight against Kakashi. The supposed 'Kurai Kitsune' that Zabuza had told her was to be killed if he got in their way again or refused to return Zabuza's prized blade. Haku narrowed her eyes as she slowly stalked up to his prone form to look him over when she froze at the sight of his face. It wasn't the calm he showed during the battle or even the amusement he had shown when arguing to keep the sword. It was twisted in pain as he twitched occasionally in his sleep. It was almost as if he was having a nightmare. But of what, she couldn't possibly know. That was when Zabuza's words came back to her.

"Haku, that blond brat. Stay away from him if you can. Only fight him if you must. He's dangerous and I'm not sure on whether or not you could defeat him." Zabuza ordered as she laid him down in his bed to rest and recover. She frowned slightly at his caution considering normally he would praise her as someone even he would hate to face.

"What's so dangerous about him?" The former swordsman merely sighed as he rested his head back against the pillows before explaining.

"I don't have the full story here Haku. I don't think anybody does outside of Konoha or Iwa, since it was them he rampaged against. You saw those two with him right? Well did you hear me ask if they were new or weak and his reply of both? He had a couple teammates before those two. I don't know what happened since everybody is really tight-lipped on it but the word on the street is that they got killed in front of him and he snapped. Sort of like how you said you did against your father and that mob." Haku flinched slightly when he brought that up before nodding. That pain from losing her mother and then being called a monster from her own father, coupled with the fact her own father was trying to kill her made her lose control of her powers and kill them all before she calmed down to see what she had done. She had then run and shortly after met Zabuza. If this boy had a similar experience, she could only imagine how badly he reacted to kill so many with a smile. She was slightly curious as to how the boy kept moving on since she could only do so after Zabuza found her and took her in. Did he have someone precious to help him through his pain?

"Just avoid fighting him if you can Haku." Zabuza repeated, snapping her out of her thoughts. "I'll try to handle him after dealing with Kakashi and I'll make sure to get my sword back too." Haku merely nodded as she left to gather some of the supplies that would be needed to get her master back to full strength, but her mind kept wandering back to the blond.

"I wonder… What exactly happened to you that you can only show your pain when you sleep?" Haku muttered as she came closer to the boy as he slept. She had wanted to speak with him and see what he was like outside of a combat situation. Maybe get to know him and see how he was dealing with his loss. However she also knew this could be her best shot to take him out for her masters' ambition. He was a threat, and a thief too now that she remembered it. It was obvious the blade wasn't on his person currently, he probably had it sealed away or left it back at the bridge builders' house. She would have to find it. But for now she could do something she'd been thinking about for the past couple days. Slowly her hand reached out to him.

"Get out of here! Run!"

"Koji-nii!"

"Naruto-kun move!"