Chapter Two.

After the breakfast, both Sam and Ellie had spare time before whatever the nuns made them do on a daily basis, whether it was cleaning, or teaching the younger kids, maybe even more bible study. Which, Ellie thought was impossible because she has read the thing a million times and it still never makes sense to the girl.

The thing that was interesting though, was Sam. He always had something to share, something about his family or his interests, a lot of it was books. The one thing Ellie for sure knew about Sam, was that he loved to read books, mostly historical fiction. Ellie liked to read herself, but mostly fiction. She loved a good adventure that no one could ever dream of.

"Come on!" Sam told Ellie, pushing her towards the library.

"What are you doing? I know where the library is, Sam. I have been here for thirteen years!"

"I know that, I just wanted to show you a book, so calm down, will ya?"

Ellie only rolled her eyes as she was pushed into the massive library, hundreds of books towering about them. Ellie loved the smell in that place, the smell of books always comforted her even as a kid.

Sam tugged on her arm again, pulling her towards a shelf of books.

"Sam, I have been to this section already."

"Yeah yeah, I know." He muttered, running his fingers along the spines of the books, and stopping at one old looking one- well, all of them were old looking to be honest. He pulled the book from it's shelf, holding the front of it out to Ellie, who raised an eyebrow as she took the book from his hands.

"A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pyrates? That's a long title." Ellie muttered while Sam huffed, a smile on his face.

"Yeah well after reading that incredibly exhausting title...it's my favorite book. That's where I learned about Henry Avery and Thomas Tew-"

"Wait, who?"

"Those two are some of the most known pirates. So, your task is to read that book."

"Oh really?" Ellie asked with a laugh. "I have a task now?"

"Yep, and you better hop to it, it's a hard read. I mean....I'm not sure you can even handle it...." Sam began, a smirk on his face while his eyes sparkled. Ellie chuckled, hitting the book against her other hand.

"Alright there Mr. Pirate guy, you are so on."

Hours later, when the night has fallen and the stars shown across the atmosphere, Ellie was reading peacefully in her bed the book Sam gave her. She was about two chapters in, her eyelids were heavy making it difficult for her to make any progress in the book. Her hand holding the flashlight wavered and fell to her chest. The book fell from her hand as her eyelids slammed shut, her body finally deciding it was time to rest.

Not seconds later, a loud rapping noise was right above her, making Ellie jump and cover her mouth, trying not to scream. Her scared expression turned to an annoyed an angry one as she opened up the window. One Samuel Morgan hanging from a ledge right beside it, a cheeky smile spread across his lips. "Hey, Ellie." He greeted.

"Samuel Morgan!" Ellie whisper yelled, turning off the flashlight. "You almost gave me a heart attack you asshole! What the hell do you want at-" She quickly glanced at the clock on her bedside table. "Two in the morning?!"

If Sam could put his hands up in defense, he would have, but they were too busy holding onto the ledge and keeping him from falling to the ground. "I wanted to show you where I go every night, to, I don't know, get you out of this place for a while?" He told her, whispering as well. Ellie simply rolled her eyes, throwing off her covers and putting on a jacket.

"I hate you. You know my weakness for adventure." She admitted, climbing out of the window next to him.

"Wait, a-are you serious?" Sam asked, looking down at her. "I didn't think you would actually follow me!"

"The window is right there so I might just go back if you don't hurry up and show me!"

"Jeez, aren't you grumpy when you are sleep deprived..-"

"Move it, Morgan!"

With Ellie yelling at him to hurry up and to make sure that she doesn't fall to her death, they finally made it to the very top of the orphanage. The cone-shaped roof made it a bit hard- well, at least for Ellie to walk on, but seemed to be causing no trouble for Sam as he easily walked on it, grabbing onto the large spike that was at the point of the cone.

"And here, is my favorite spot." He told her, speaking a bit loudly over the chilly wind that blew during the night. Ellie stopped for a moment to look at him as he looking out into the city, watching the lights. She couldn't help the smile that  appeared on her face as she looked at him, the only guy who ever had the balls to talk to her, much less take her somewhere the day they talked to each other. After shaking a strange feeling off of herself, Ellie walked up to him, being precarious of not falling of course.

"Is it because of the amazing views?" She asked, looking at the city as well. She never really has seen the city much, even from the windows at the orphanage, everything was sort of cut off. It was like seeing a room through a keyhole, and being on this roof was kicking open the door and taking it all in at once. The tall spirals of buildings with their flickering lights illuminated the night sky, they twinkled the the stars. Just thinking about that, Ellie grabbed into the spike and turned her head up, taking in the vast night sky full of beautiful stars. "Because I can definitely see why..."

"It's probably better if you sit down, looking at the sky while standing on a rooftop is not a great idea standing up." Sam informed Ellie, who nodded, a slight redness coming to her face as she slowly sat down next to him and resumed her gaze to the stars.

"But to answer your question, yes I come up here for the views. Also, just for the freedom."

"The freedom?"

"Yeah. I've been here for a long time- not as long as you, but still a while. I miss not being able to go to a public school, to walk around shops. Seeing my friends that do not live in the same place as I do. Being up here, and seeing all of this...it's like I'm doing all of that." Sam rambled on, not even knowing if Ellie was paying attention to his nonsense. But the girl only nodded quietly.

"I know exactly what you mean. Thirteen years here, it's like prison. You lose your sense of freedom and I never want that. So, thank you."

"You are thanking me? For what?"

"For showing me this, it was either this or me falling asleep for a short while."

He laughed a bit, shaking his head. "Well, you are most certainly welcome there ma'am."

"Oh shut up Morgan."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you guys so much for reading! Please vote, share and comment!