Chapter Twenty-Three.

"So, what do I do?"

They had finally arrived in King's Bay, Ellie needing to get out there and find the three. She had texted them to see if they arrived, Sam said yes. She didn't get much more than that which worried her immensely, so she needed to get out there. Problem was, Nadine refused to let her move around or even walk that much.

Nadine explained that the bullet tore her muscle in her thigh, meaning that it would cause some permanent damage, Ellie would be limping for the rest of her life. So much for a simple distraction. She thought she would be more worried about the limp, but really she was just in denial. Nevertheless, Ellie would figure it out. She was a strong and resourceful woman, a limp wouldn't slow her down in the slightest.

Nadine slipped her gun into the holster that was strapped to her thigh, crossing her arms. "You're going nowhere. You are still on bedrest, doctors orders." She told Ellie who groaned, rolling her eyes.

"I'm fine!" She insisted, standing with a some wobbliness. "See? I can stand just fine. I don't have to run around with you guys or anything, I'm totally okay with hitching a ride with some of the others as they drove around King's Bay. I don't want to feel useless."

Ellie really hoped that this whining and complaining will make Nadine eventually cave in. She needed to get out there, she just had to. Usually wherever Shoreline was, the Drake brothers and Sully followed closely....or normally it was the other way around. If she could catch up with them during a firefight, that would work just fine. Ellie just prayed that she wouldn't get caught in the crossfire.

Nadine gave Ellie a hard stare, a look a parent would give a misbehaving child. Yeah, she understood Ellie's need to get out and feel important. Rafe was beginning to sideline her a lot, and Nadine knew why. With his growing suspicion about Ellie working with the competition, he was trying his hardest to not tell her anything, Nadine could see how frustrating it was for her.

"Ellie. You can barely do anything right now, and I rather you be mad at me then hurt yourself even more. What if you get shot again? No, I don't want to risk it."

Ellie folded her arms across her chest, not giving up. "Okay, what if I stay with the convoy? I don't know...maybe I could just survey the land. Something, anything. Come on Nadine, please!"

With the incessant whining and complaining, Nadine finally gave in. She couldn't help it as after all Ellie was one of her best friends...well, only best friend actually. Nadine wasn't exactly the best at making friends with her A+ social skills.

"Okay, okay! Fine. You can ride in the trucks, but just try and not get into trouble? I know you will at some point but at least don't be stupid." She mumbled that last part, finding a spare gun in the bag she was carrying and handed it to Ellie.

Ellie took the gun with a smile, stuffing it in the back of her jeans. "Thanks Nadine, I really do appreciate it. I promise I won't do something super stupid."

"And how do I know you will make good on that promise?"

Ellie shrugged. "You'll just have to find out."

***

"Is that the last one?"

Nate, Sully and Sam were at one of the Twelve Towers, Anne Bonny's to be exact. After trying to lower the drawbridge to get to the other side, Shoreline decided to come and crash their little party. After shoving the last one off of the cliff, the three met up near the trucks.

"I think so," Sam took one last glance around with his gun still in his hand. All three were breathing hard, forgetting just how taxing a firefight was. They had their share in Scotland, but now the adrenaline was gone and the exhaustion began to set in. Sam tried to shake it off as they were nowhere near being done here and it wasn't any time to quit.