Chapter Seventeen.

It was well into the night, and the news that Ellie has gotten so far was that Nate and Sam were on their way. Sam was tasked with becoming a waiter, that way he wouldn't be noticed while being too close to the cross. Nate had the important task of shutting off the power briefly for that to happen. This whole plan was riding on Nate's job, which Ellie had little faith in.

Don't get her wrong, Ellie loved Nate like a little brother, but he had the tendency to break things. It was his signature move. Breaking bridges, statues, poles, doors, buildings....the list goes on. She trusted him to get the job done, but there would probably be some property damage at some point during the job.

Ellie was on the floor, watching everything. She was glad that Sully was also here since Nadine was distracting her. Ellie thought that her and the Shoreline leader were good friends, they seemed to click on the common interest of disliking Rafe. Obviously there were some differences between the women, but for the most part, they seemed to enjoy each other's company.

"You seem more quiet than usual." Nadine's distinct voice broke through Ellie's thoughts, making her snap back into focus. That was one of the things that Ellie liked about Nadine, she had the ability to turn all attention on herself if no one was paying attention. It was kind of a scary talent almost, but rather useful.

Ellie managed a shy smile. "Sorry, I was just staring off for a moment there." She didn't really know how to explain to Nadine that she was running the plan through her head with the competition.

Speaking of, this night was very confusing for her. Jesus, her best friend came back after fifteen years all of the sudden with the old gang and this insane plan that was barely thought out. Ellie was immediately drawn to it. There was still this part of her that loved a half-baked plan where anything could happen, surprises around every corner than a fully thought out plan with no room for mistakes. It wasn't as fun.

Ellie wanted to help them so bad, and she would do it no matter what. But things were different now. She couldn't just drop everything to be with them, going down on her knees and giving up everything she had worked for to go on an adventure. It just wasn't what she wanted.

Ellie had to think about everything. She felt like she had to plan out every single step so carefully that nothing gets ruined. It was like a dangerous game of Jenga. One wrong move and everything crumbles.

Jesus, Ellie needed to get her thoughts in order. She felt like her brain was being pulled in every which way. Luckily, Nadine and her authoritative voice roped Ellie back in once again.

"I don't blame you. This is boring. Can't they just start the auction already? I can't deal with Rafe moaning about this anymore." Nadine huffed, crossing her arms and looking out to the front where the cross was displayed.

"I get it, I just want this to be over with. Hopefully everything runs smoothly." Ellie breathed out, her eyes surveying the crowd. She just spotted Sam in the crowd with a waiter's outfit on, balancing a platter of champagne glasses. He winked at Ellie as their eyes met before disappearing further into the crowd. Ellie must have tuned out that they got what they needed.

"Yeah. I almost just want to go up there and grab it myself. I'm tired of waiting. I just want my share." Nadine's hair bounced as she shook her head. Ellie nodded a little. She wanted to say that she related, but she couldn't really. Rafe didn't pay her. Instead, he said that giving her a place to stay and food was payment enough. That made Ellie want to drive a fork up his nose.

She noticed in the crows that Sully was talking with Rafe, the tension being visible all the way across the ballroom.

"Oh christ, here we go." Ellie muttered under her breath, making her way over to the two with Nadine following closely behind.