Chapter Nineteen

It was a miracle that they had actually made it to the hotel without any hitches. The ride back was smooth, even though Ellie's phone kept on going off because Rafe wanted to know where the hell she was. Ellie ended up turning it on silent because she didn't give a damn right now. That was such a rush, she missed doing that from the old days. Of course now, getting shot was a higher risk since she was an adult and not a child or teen. Sometimes she felt like the people shooting at her when she was a teen were aiming.

Once they got to the room the woman kicked off her heels and let out a relieved sigh at the feeling of freedom. The boys filtered into the room, all of them grinning and excited at their prize: The Saint Dismas cross.

Sully, who was already keen on celebrating had opened the mini-bar and poured a few glasses of liquor and handed it to the rest of them. Ellie wasn't a fan of stronger liquors, but she took in anyway to make the old man happy.

"That was pretty damn lucky." Nate sat down on one of the chairs surrounding the little table in the center of the room, happy to sit down and relax for the night.

"No kidding. Up until that last part, I didn't think we'd make it." Sam chimed in as he too sat down. Ellie pulled a stool from the little kitchenette included in the room over to the table.

"No shit, getting shot at isn't exactly how I thought we would be spending tonight." Ellie sipped on the scotch-or at least she was pretty sure it was scotch. She didn't exactly have a vast knowledge of alcoholic beverages.

"What, you three didn't have faith that I would get there in time?" Sully asked, looking like he was offended by their comments. It didn't help that all of them nodded. He scoffed and poured himself more of the scotch. "Stab an old man in the heart, huh?"

Sam set down his glass and pulled out the cross, gently setting it down on the table. The gold glinted in the light, the beautiful work was definitely a sight. Whoever made this cross had talent.

"It's beautiful." Ellie mused, picking it up and turning it over in her hands. It was just like the one they found all the way back a Panama, except this one looked nicer and wasn't broken. Sam plucked it out of her hands and set it back down on the table. Nate got up and came back with a hammer which Ellie didn't bother to ask where that came from. He handed it over to Sam who had it one had and the cross in the other, putting the edge of the cross slightly over the edge.

Sam raised the hammer over the edge of the cross before looking over at the group with a smile. "I hope I don't go to hell for this." He smashed the edge of the cross, the pieces of the wood falling to the floor.

Ellie peered inside but she couldn't see anything as Sam took it away to fast and looked into himself. She noticed this change in his expression, and she knew that expression. Ellie already set herself up to believe that whatever he was going to say next was complete bullshit.

***

"So?"

Sam had just walked into the abandoned house that they had been squatting in, both Nate and Ellie crowded by the door when he walked in. They had sent him out to gamble, as they desperately needed money if they wanted to eat that night. Nate was too young, and Ellie was terrible at gambling. She got too full of herself and ended up losing because she got cocky.

Sam had hid the money in his back pocket, it being a little hard to hide because it was such a thick stack. "Hm?" He looked over at them like he was confused at why they were both there looking tense.

"Did you get the money?" Nate asked, walking closer to his older brother to see if he was holding it anywhere. Nate deflated once he noticed Sam wasn't holding any money.

"Oh....um..." Sam tried his best not to smile, and he was trying hard. Ellie already had disappointment in her eyes when he didn't seem like he got anything. She was really hoping that he got something, even if it was just ten extra dollars. Whatever they could get, Ellie would take.

Sam put on his best upset and sad face, looking down at the ground. He even dragged his foot across the ground like he was trying to avoid their gaze. Really he was, because if he looked at them he would surely smile and mess up this whole thing.

"I......I..." Sam extended his sentence, wanting for them to wait. Nate was upset more than anything and was ready to walk away, and Ellie took.

"I got the money." Sam grinned. He took it out and fanned out the huge wad of cash in front of them, Nate immediately dawned a big smile on his face as he ran back up to his brother and grabbed some of the cash.

"Wow! This is amazing Sam!" Nate punched his arm as Ellie walked up and did the same.

"Ouch, what did I do?" Sam asked, gesturing to his slightly aching shoulder.

"You were being an ass!" Ellie sounded upset, but she had a smile on her face too. She got a hold of some of it too and counted, rather impressed.

"This is the most you've ever gotten."

"Thanks." Sam smiled.

"But you're still an asshole."

"Ah yes, of course."

***

"It's empty.." Sam had lowered his voice and glanced around the three of them with a nervous look. Sully had his jaw open, and Nate let out a groan. He ran his hands through his hair.

"You've got to be kidding me!"

Ellie looked at them like they were crazy. "Sam, you're full of bullshit."

Sam turned to her and opened his mouth like he was about to defend himself, but closed it anyways. He shook out the paper that was inside of the cross. It was old, very old by the coloring and wear of it.

"How did you know I was faking it?"

"Sam, if you really want to fool me like that you're going to have to try harder than puppy eyes and a disappointed look."

Nate was chuckling at that and so was Sully, him impressed at her ability to call his bullshit. They unfurled the paper and looked at it, deciphering it. They came to the conclusion that their next stop was Scotland.

"Well," Sully sat back in his seat and grinned. "I hear the weather is rather lovely this time of year."