Part Seven

Lasgalen arrived in Dale with the people of Lake-Town. She helps the wounded heal while Bard speaks with Alfrid. The little weasel man. She finally got up and walked over to the bowman. He looked at her as she approached. Alfrid glared at her as he watched as as well.

"Bard, may I speak with you?" She asked him.

"Of course. Alfrid, you take watch tonight."

He grumbled to himself but settled down to take watch. The pair walked away from the man and Bard looked at Lasgalen.

"What did you need, my lady?"

"Bard, things are not going to go well. A war is coming." She told him. "Things are going to come to light, and everything is going to be changed drastically. Bard.... whatever you do. Know that you will always have the alliance of me, if not my kin."

He smiled at her. "Thank you, my lady."

She smiled and hugged him before going to one of the buildings and opening the door. Tilda, Sigrid and Bain turned to look at her and she smiled.

"Hello." She said.

Tilda smiled. "Can I braid your hair?"

She chuckled and nodded, sitting on the edge of the stone bench. She lets Tilda braid her hair until she abruptly stops. Lasgalen frowns.

"Tilda?" She asks the young girl.

"That's that?"

She reaches her hand up and her fingers touch the bead that Thorin had braided into her hair. She smiles softly as she looks at the young girl.

"Do you know what it means to be courted?"

"Um... I think so."

"Well, that is my courting bead."

The young girl smiles brightly and goes back to the braid. After she is done, Lasgalen tucks the children in and they fall asleep. Bard walks in soon after and she smiles at him.

"Hello." He says softly, trying not to wake his sleeping children.

"Hello." She responded. "I was just leaving."

He nodded. "My Lady...."

"Call me Lasgalen, please." She says, sending him a smile. "We can speak outside."

He nods and follows her out. She stands next to the wall while he stands in front of her.

"Lasgalen..." He sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"Bard, please tell me what is on your mind." She told him.

He looked up to meet her bright blue eyes. She looked back at him as he sighed again, looking away.

"I heard what you told Tilda about the bead." He said. "And I regret thinking...."

"Thinking what?"

He finally meets her eyes again. She sees something in his eyes, something that makes her pause and her breath stop coming.

"Lasgalen, you are a lovely woman. Elf or no. And I feel that when I first met you, I finally had a moment to move on from my wife. I know she would wish me to do so, and you truly are amazing. I have been thinking about you since I first met you on the shore that day, when you were ready to kill me." She smiled lightly at the memory. "And for that, I feel and think that Thorin Oakenshield is a very lucky man."

She smiled at him as he looked at her.

"Bard." She said with a sigh. "Dragon Sickness has consumed him. I know this. So when I do see him again, I do not know what will happen between us. If I come back, know that my bead will be gone."

He nodded softly and she stepped over to him, kissing his cheek softly before walking to her horse and riding to the mountain. She arrived and walked inside the mountain. She walked past the company, who all smiled happily at her.

"Where's Thorin?" She asked.

Every single smile dropped. Balin sighed.

"In the throne room."

She nodded and walked away. Her horse was eating grass right outside, but she was going to see Thorin. She walked in and he looked at her from the throne. She bowed and looked up at him.

"Thorin." She said firmly.

"What do you want, elf?" He spat.

She searched his eyes and saw that they were clear. Not a single once of the Dragon Sickness was in his brain at the moment. She better start talking.

"Thorin, you need to stop this madness. The Arkenstone is-"

"Don't you dare say it's name." He growled, glaring at her. "Now what do you want, elf?"

"Do you remember this?" She asked, pulling the bead out of her hair and putting it in her palm to show him. "Do you remember that day? My bead still rests in your hair, Thorin."

He stood up and walked over. She waited as his hand reached over and took the bead, replacing it with her own.

"It no longer does." He said firmly, still clear minded. "I was blinded by misery and loneliness. You are no one to me. Now be gone."

She nodded firmly. "Very well. I do hope you know what you are doing, Thorin Oakenshield."

With that, she turned on her heel and walked away. He didn't go after her, knowing that the sickness had not pushed those thoughts forward. He had. He would not marry her, knowing that she would have a share in the treasure below him if he did.

Lasgalen passed the dwarves and they looked at her. Balin noticed the missing bead and frowned. Everyone followed his eyes as she walked past them. Kili looked up and stopped working.

"Lasgalen, where is Thorin's bead?" He asked her.

"In his hand." She said. "No amount of that sickness was in his mind when he said what he said. And that was all I came for. Now, if you would excuse me, I have a war to prepare for."

She climbed onto Shine and set off back to Dale. She walked into the city while braiding her bead into her hair again where Thorin's once rested. She walked to where Bard was talking with Percy. As Bard spotted her, he looked to her hair. He saw the difference in the beads and his heart fell. She had truly just lost Thorin. She nodded to him as she walked past. She went to where the children were sleeping and fell asleep on the chair, her eyes closing and her hair falling down her back in ratty waves of silk.

--------------------------