Chapter Two

Before I know it, I've been thrown off my horse and I'm on the floor. Eren has stopped walking now, and he kneels. My mind isn't set right and I don't remember the next few seconds, but when my consciousness is returned, Eren is standing over me. "What are you doing out here, Mikasa?" He asks me. I lean up "Eren... You scared me. I thought you were a Titan, a real one, that killed people." I say. "What are you doing out here in Titan form?!" I shout at him, I was terrified out of my life. I thought they were back to destroy humanity.

He just stares at me like how I do to him. Like I was pathetic.

"Mikasa..." There's a short silence between us. "I saved you."

My eyes widen in shock. He saved me? How?
"What?" I mumble to him.

"I was out in the field and there I saw was a man in black running around on a horse. I walked up to him and told him to reveal himself, he refused and started to attack me. I eventually had no choice but to morph, otherwise he would've taken me out, I was unarmed..." He sighs and takes a silent breath, "So, I knocked him out, then I searched him. He had a letter, and he wanted to assassinate me, but you were also included." I gasp at this. Someone wants me dead? I don't understand, who could possibly want me dead? "The assassin wasn't from here. So don't go accusing anybody in the walls." Of course, I wouldn't do that... Why would he even think that?

Then it hits me, he wants to show me he is responsible.

"I won't Eren... Thank you." I say slowly sitting up. I take the gun out and turn away and shoot it to the air.

"What's that about?" Eren asks me.

"Me and Armin were looking for you, we split up. I'm using so he knows I found you."

"Why were you looking for me?"

"Because I wanted to apologise for what happened last night. I didn't mean for you to get upset like that."

Eren takes a while, but he cracks a smile.

"It's ok."

* * *

We were back inside the walls and we were strolling through town.

I couldn't help but think about what happened just a few moments ago. Eren saving me, the mysterious man wondering outside...

I was worried. Is something happening out there that we don't know about?

"Eren, don't you think we should tell someone about this?" I ask.

"About what?" He asks back. How could he forget? But, this is the sort of thing expected of Eren.

"That guy that you met."

He stopped walking, so did I.

"Eren?"

There's silence between us.

"I'm scared." He says to me. Eren? Scared? I can't believe he said that to me.

The young hot-head that saved my life many times is afraid, of something like this?

"I thought we got away, Mikasa... But there's a threat out there."

I don't speak.

"I know it." He adds.

I agree with him, I had felt that we were never safe.

"We need to report this, Eren." I say.

He cuts in quickly, "No! No one else can know about this. It will cause disturbance in the city's peace. We must handle this ourselves."

"How are we supposed to do that?!"

"We leave."

"Leave? Leave to where?"

"Leave here..."

By his tone of voice I know what he means. He means leave... Leave far away... Past the forest.

"Can we do that?" I ask him quietly.

"Why can't we?"

He was right again. Why can't we? We can go. But I hesitate, I don't feel very open just wondering outside not knowing what could be there.

"I can't Eren..."

"Mikasa! We can get out of here, we can see beyond the walls. We can see truly what lies ahead! I dreamed about this since we were kids... Let's go!"

No...

"But we're not kids anymore. I'm sorry, Eren, but... No."

I walked away from him. I don't know where he went to afterwards.
I know that he would go without me, anyway.
I don't know what causes me to feel this way about something so big and fantastic.
I faced Titans before and I'm too scared to go outside?

I, don't, know.

I get home and I sit down, it was still quite early. I had only spent a while outside.

I realise, that this is my chance to see what's really out there.

So, why am I so worried about it?

I realise how selfish I'm being...

I can't let Eren go by himself.

I need Armin.

* * *

Luckily, Armin was wondering through town when I find him.

"Armin, it's a long story, but Eren wants to go outside. Outside, outside, and I thought that you dreamed of going out there... Didn't you?" I ask him.

Armin is really surprised by my question. His face almost looks scared.

"Yeah... I did... but, I can't."

"Why not? You can't let Eren go by himself! You know that he'll go, with or without me. I can't let him go by himself."

"If you're so worried, why don't you go?"

He looked as if he regretted saying that. He turned away before I was even willing to say anything else. I didn't... I don't know what to say. Then, I realise that Eren is my responsibility, he is mine to protect, and trying to put my job on to others is wrong. I know what I have to do.

"Ok, your right. I'll go with him."