Chapter Nine

I wake up to a sound a really loud cowbell. It startled me and I jump out of my comfortable position and on to the cold side of the blankets.

I lean up quickly and I see that it's Gerald loudly ringing the bell. He shouts, "Get up, get up! It's time for work!"

His voice is even more annoying in the morning.

I groan as I stand up, and I sloppily walk over to my bag and take out a shirt and some leggings, also grabbing my scarf. Nothing special.

He leaves at that point, and when I wrap my fingers around the door handle to leave, I turn my head to Eren who's head is under the pillow.

"Eren?" I say, he doesn't respond, so I say it again louder. "Eren!" He gets up quickly, "What?!"

"We got to get up. We promised to help him." I say sensibly.

"The words, 'I promise to help Gerald,' never came out of my mouth."

I can't help but laugh, I cover my mouth whilst doing so.

"Come on." I say more solid.

"I'll be down in ten minutes." He mumbles in his pillow.

I sigh, shaking my head, but having a subtle smile as I open the door and go in to the bathroom.

Once I'm changed, I go in to the hallway, I look around for a back door, which I find open. I hear shovelling from outside.
I make my way out.

I see Gerald, his back arched; he's digging out carrots and potatoes.

"What should I do?"

He turns to me and gives me a strange smile. I look at him sharply.

"Just help me dig up these vegetables will ya'?" I nod, grabbing a shovel from the shed. When I get down to digging, I keep my distance from Gerald and avoid eye contact.

I really don't like that man, and how he was in our business and those looks he gives me.

Brushing the thoughts off, I dig the shovel in the ground. The ground is hard and it's difficult to dig up. I try not to show my struggle, so Gerald doesn't find out.

I push down even more, but it doesn't favour me.

I feel a sweat bead form on my temple, I wipe it away.

I breathe out and push down on the shovel really hard. It's no use. I want to scream out of frustration.

I take a look over to Gerald to see how he does it, and it looks like he's doing it exactly how I tried to. It doesn't make sense.
I don't want to embarrass myself in front of him, so I say, "You know what, you look like you can handle digging yourself. What do you struggle most with?"

He ponders for a moment, putting his finger on his chin.

"I guess you can rake and plant the crops."
Bingo. I can't see this being very hard.

I take the rake which was rested on the floor, and brush it along the mud surface. I look in the shed for a watering can and seeds. The can is in the corner and seed packets are on the shelf. I take all of the packets and pick up the watering can. I carry it back to my area I'm working on and lay them on the floor.

"What do you want me to plant?" I ask.

"Anything."

I take the watering can and realising that there is no water in there. I search for a tap or hose. It's not in sight.

"Where can I get water?" I hate asking so many questions.

"My hose is being repaired, so you have to go inside to refill it."

Just what I wanted to hear. Carrying it, I make my way back inside the cabin. I walk in to the kitchen and I run the tap, I then put the can underneath.

How is Eren still not up? I hope that he hasn't fallen back to sleep.

I walk to our room and knock. "Eren! Are you awake?" He doesn't respond, so I knock even harder. "Eren!" I hesitate about entering the room. I place my hand on the handle, not knowing whether to twist it or not. I'm about to twist it when I hear that the watering can is over flowing with water.

"Crap!" I run to the kitchen, and the water is pouring on to the floor. I turn the taps and look around for a cloth to clean it up.

* * *

After clearing the kitchen, I take the heavy watering can and carry it back with two hands.

When I try to walk quicker it spills along the floor. But, we're outside, so it's ok.

Finally, I get back to the patch and I drop the can and then pant.

I start working.

* * *

About fifteen minutes later, Eren appears.

"Where have you been? I've knocked on your door twice!" I say, kind of angrily.

"I was in the bathroom! Is a little bit of privacy ok?!"

I need to stop... I need to treat him as an equal.

"Sorry, I'm just cranky and tired."

He sighs and says, "Whatever."

* * *

We had a hard day of work and me and Eren sit at the front porch.

"I'm exhausted..." I say quietly.

"Me too."

"I really don't want to do the same thing tomorrow."

I look at the sky and the sky has many beautiful shades of red and orange.

I'm astonished.

"Look at the sky." I say.

We both stare at it's mesmerising beauty and I rest my head on the wooden structure.

"Will you promise to actually wake up tomorrow?"

He looks at me with a cheeky facial expression.

"Yes, Eren. Say it."

"I promise to wake up on time." He says before we both start laughing.

I smile, "Thanks."

-

This chapter was very long and kind of boring, so, sorry guys. 😓

But, 'I PROMISE' that I'll try to write it as intriguing as possible.

Thanks guys.

Please vote and tell me what you think of the story so far.