Chapter Twelve

I wake up startled because Eren had just sneezed. Today was our day off.

I blink my eyes a couple times before I scan the room. It's just getting light outside, it must be about 7am.

I pull the covers over my face but then I realise that I'm no longer tired.
Instead, I turn to Eren who is peacefully sleeping; he looks so beautiful.
I end up staring at him until I decide that I want to get up.
I carefully manoeuvre around him, hoping that I don't accidentally step on him.

Once I softly drop my feet on to the ground, I open the door and make my way to the kitchen.

I take a glass, run it under the tap and drink from it. I sigh and put the glass back down. I then turn (slowly,) three-sixty degrees, wandering what I should exactly do. I feel quite peckish so I go into the cupboard, as to my surprise I find a glass vile with some dark powder contained inside. I pick it up, there's a label attatched to it; I read it.

'Highly toxic : Keep out of reach of children

Use for rodents ONLY'

I feel relieved that it's only rodent poison. I feel as if I'm just trying to frame Gerald for something, and I don't quite know why.

I place the vile back in the cupboard and check for food, which there wasn't any of. I shut the doors; feeling unsatisfied.

I sit on the sofa and lay there, then I hear somebody opening the door. I look up, thinking it's Eren, but it was Gerald. Disappointment hits me once again, and I lay back down.

"Good morning." he says. I reply to him. "Hello."

He takes out mugs and asks me. "Would you like any tea, Mikasa?"

"Yes, actually, thank you." He prepares the tea. "Oh, Mikasa, could you please go into the store cupboard and get the milk please?"

"Yes, of course." I say, getting up and heading towards the cupboard. It's on the top shelf and I have to go on my tip toes to get it. Whilst doing so, I hear Gerald mumbling and groaning amongst himself, and then I hear something smash, followed by his yell.

I eventually grab the milk, and I leave the cupboard. Gerald is sweeping up his mess, so I put the milk on the table. "Would Eren like some too? I'm sure he'd like it."

"Yeah, sure."

I think that Eren likes tea, even so, I want to talk to him.

With no hesitation, I walk into our room and shake his shoulder. He opens up his eyes, and when he sees me, he grins and says "Hi, Mika." I smile and say "Want some tea?"

"That sounds good."

We both exit the room and I see Gerald throwing broken glass in the bin. I lower my eyebrows, but continue to walk in. Eren takes a seat at the table and Gerald pours hot water in the mugs. I slowly walk over to the bin to see what he put inside. My skin shivers as I see the shattered glass, but I also see the rodent poision. How would he have broken it unless he has taken it out the...

I quickly turn my head to Gerald, and I see, sprinkled on the counter, the same powder.

He carries the mugs, and the poison is smothered on the corners of the mugs. He couldn't of-? Different scenarios fly to and fro in my head, and I feel fear grow from within me.

I snap back to reality finally and Gerald is giving Eren his tea. No!

I immediately dash towards him. My heart races so quickly and I feel myself shaking uncontrollably. He is about to take a sip and as quick as I can, I thrust the mug out of his hands. I hear it smash on the floor. "Mikasa?!" Eren yells. I look at him, too relieved for words and drop to my knees and burst out in to tears. It was so close...too close. I could've...

I could've lost him.

After I bring myself together, I turn to Gerald, and give him the most angered look he will of ever seen.

"You poisoned the tea!" I shout at him. He looks stunned; he didn't expect me to find out, obviously.

"This was- It was all a big misunderstanding. Why would I do such a thing?" This man is so dull-witted it irritates me.

Then I remember...

"I know why you asked me to get milk. It was so you could sneakily slip the rat poison in our drink!" All these events occuring, it's making me stress and my mind feels unbalanced.

"Well-err..." Gerald stutters. He doesn't even know what to say.

I hear Eren come from behind me and push him against the wall. "I don't know who you're trying to fool, but we're not buying it! Tell us, exactly, why you wanted to kill us!" He shouts at him.

"Now, why would I tell you that?" Gerald says, moving his arm out to take a knife from the knife holder. "Eren!" I scream. Gerald grasps on to the knife and Eren is pushed backwards. He's holding the knife up, as if he's about to stab him and I grab his wrist and try to get the knife out of his hand. "Let go, of me!" He moans as I grip on to his wrist tighter. "Eren, stay back!" I say turning around to him, but as I do so, I'm smacked in the face and thrown on to the floor. Eren grabs hold of him and says, "Give me that knife!"

"I will kill you both! I won't let you get away with it again!" Gerald shouts, I get up and try to assist Eren. I don't think straight and giving it all my strength, grab hold of the blade of the knife, I try my hardest to rip it out of his hands, despite that the blade is sinking in to my hands, and the extreme pain that pierces through it. Notwithstanding my utmost effort to take the knife from Gerald's hands, I have the misfortune to see it plunge through Eren's stomach. As he drops to the ground and screams in agony, desolation creeps it's way inside my heart. "Eren!" I run up to him and check his wound, just the sight torments me. Tears regenerate once more, despite how much I lost earlier, and all I feel is utter depression... But then, anger. So much fury! I get up and yell, "No one hurts Eren and gets away with it!" Running after Gerald and pushing him over. I somehow rip the knife straight from his grip and press it against chest. "Rest in peace." I say, closing my eyes and piercing it right through his throat. I gasp as I hear the knife penetrate his body, and his last groan. I get up and don't even look at his dead body.

I rush over to Eren and ask him, "Eren?! Are you ok?" I lay his torso on my legs and cradle his head. The tears make an appearance once again. He opens his eyes and says quietly, "Mikasa-" He then bleats in pain. I lift up his shirt a little and compress his wound. He whimpers at this. Using my other hand, I hold it tightly. "Please don't leave me, Eren...You just came back." I say, not sounding fully clear because of my crying. "I don't want to Mika, and I don't intend to." He then laughs, "Can't believe that bastard tried to poison us." I laugh quietly too, to try and lighten the mood. "I didn't want to kill anybody... But-" More tears escape my eyes, I lay my face next to his.

"You did the right thing. If it weren't for you, I'd be dead."

"I was too late, because you're already dy-" I didn't want to say that. He wasn't dying because he's going to stay with me!

He must! He can't go, we are supposed to get a beautiful house, with a garden, and live peacefully there together! We have so much left to do and experience, he can't leave! Not yet!

"We still need to do so many things together... You're not going to die here, please...." I say, as I feel the warmth of my salty tears on my cheeks.

"Mikasa?" He says. I lift my head and look straight at him; he had tears in them. "Don't stop fighting, promise?" I nod my head, "I promise. Cross my heart and hope to die..." I promise squeezing his hand even more.

"You'll be in my heart for eternity, you got that, Eren?" I end up moaning again, so I tuck my chin in.
"I love you, Mikasa." He says smiling at me.
I plant a sweet and passionate kiss on his lips.
"As do I love you. Forever and always."