Chapter One

Decided to go ahead and get this book started since one of my old ones will be ending soon.

Enjoy!

Christian Brooks

The alarm on my night stand buzzed over and over. I laid still with my eyes shut contemplating if I should hit the snooze button for the 10th time. Opening one eye, I glanced over at the clock to see what time it was.

6:57AM

Shit!

I sat up and swung my legs over to the side of my California King Size bed. Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, then I looked out at the view of the city. New York City. It's not where I'm from but I needed to be somewhere to make my money. I'm from Virginia, born and raised until I turned 20, I moved here and haven't been back home since then.

Looking back at the clock again, I immediately got up. I was late as hell for work and I didn't want to hear my captains mouth.

Oh yeah, I work for the NYPD. Started as a uni (cop in a uniform). Did that for about 2 years while I got my degree in forensic science, once I completed that I got promoted to a Detective, I worked in homicide but that shit give you nightmares. Now I'm a lead detective in narcotics. I wouldn't trade my job for the world.

After taking a quick shower and throwing on whatever I could find, I grabbed my gun and badge and headed out the door. Being a police officer keeps you away from having a normal life, I'm barely home, I can barely find time to go visit my mom back in VA. All I do is work, sleep every blue moon, then work some more.

One day I'll take some time for myself but right now I got criminals to catch.

Pulling into the parking lot of the precinct, I grabbed everything I needed and quickly got out, rushed inside and jumped on an elevator. I'm almost an hour late. I had interrogations to do and a bunch of shit to catch up on. Look like I'll be here all night again.

I walked off the elevator and over to my desk.

"5, 4, 3, 2, 1." My partner Aaron counted cause he knew what was coming next. My desk phone rang.

Taking a deep breath I picked it up. "Brooks."

"Get in here, now!" Captain yelled.

I slammed the phone back on the receiver. "Damn man."

After putting away my stuff I headed to his office.

"Wassup Cap." I said.

"Have a seat."

I sat down in the chair and prepared for the all the yelling he was about to do.

"Between you and that damn partner of yours I don't know who's going to make me go crazy first. I asked you to be here on time." He said.

"Captain, before last night I was up for 48 hours. I overslept it was a mistake, stop tripping."

"Oh I ain't started tripping yet. Don't be surprised when I fire your ass."

I laughed. "And how many times have I heard that shit. I'm the best detective around here so I'm really not worried."

"Don't be so cocky Brooks."