8. Is She Going To Be A Problem?

Chapter 8: Is She Going To Be A Problem?

We did make it to one piece and even Connor survived unscathed because for once, he got a clue and didn’t open his big mouth till we got to school.

By the time lunch rolled around and I felt so hungry I could’ve probably eaten a horse (if I didn’t love horses way too much to do that), I’d even forgotten what a gigantic asshole he could be when he set his mind on it. As I made my way over to our usual lunch table, though, I saw this gaggle of girls trying (read: elbowing each other) to find a spot where to sit at our designated (aka my table), it all came back to me at once.

The guys from the football team were basically salivating at the sight of all these girls batting their false eyelashes at them and Owen, to his credit, looked positively embarrassed by the attention he was receiving. He was squashed between two scantily clad girls and looked downright squeamish. One of them touched his cheek and he all but jumped out of his seat.

Instead of joining the guys (they had a full house as it was), I went to sit with Hannah and Margot at the cheerleaders’ table, making a mental note to give Connor a piece of my mind as soon as I could.

Sometimes I had no idea what was running through his head.

“What the fuck is going on over there?” I asked, pointing a finger at the boys in question before I set my tray on the table and sat down next to Hannah.

“The girls are auditioning to be Owen’s girlfriend,” Margot answered smoothly, taking a sip from her diet coke and fighting back a smile upon seeing the disgusted look on my face that I didn’t bother covering up.

“Are you for real?” I wondered, mouth gape, a part of me still refusing to believe what my eyes were seeing. Then the girls shrugged in reply and I got my answer.

“Jesus, what do they think this is? The Bachelor?” I scoffed, popping a French fry into my mouth and shaking my hair loose out of its tight ponytail since my scalp felt like it was on fire.

“It looks more like The Hunger Games to me,” Hannah joked, snorting and rolling her eyes heavenwards, finding this whole thing as ludicrous as I did. Unfortunately, even God couldn’t help us now.

“This is ridiculous,” I shook my head, thinking that the boys sure went to great lengths to ensure that I’d lose all faith in them, “on so many levels, even by their standards.”

At that moment, I heard Connor’s booming voice calling out some girl’s name and his husky voice carried over the din of the cafeteria easily.

“Mel, it’s your turn,” a redheaded girl wearing a cheerleading uniform that was sitting at our table said to her friend and nudged her in the side. Everyone but me wished ‘Mel’ good luck as she sashayed her way over to the jocks’ table and sat down across from Connor and Owen. I shook my head, wondering why girls would put themselves through something as embarrassing as this. Especially in front of the whole school.

They weren’t just fighting for a spot on some team.

They were supposed to be fighting for a spot in Owen’s heart.

I clicked my tongue, finding Connor’s idea more and more ludicrous as time passed.

“I think it’s sweet,” Margot shrugged one dainty shoulder, making me almost choke, wondering if I’d heard her right and hoping I hadn’t, “they’re encouraging Owen to find love.”

I scoffed and soon Hannah followed suit, wondering if Margot was more naïve than she looked at first sight. Or if she was simply dumb like the rest of them, all these girls lining up to get the boys’ attention.