9. But A Stud He Was Not

Chapter 9: But A Stud He Was Not

Scratch that, I knew exactly how he got that nickname, but I didn’t want to dwell on it, considering the history the two of us had. This was not something I wanted to get into right now. Or ever, if I had to be completely honest with myself.

As I got into the passenger’s seat and buckled myself up, the newly formed couple was on their merry way to get to know each other.

Five minutes later and Zoey was already showing Owen parts of herself that I personally wished I could un-see.

She was showing Owen the tattoo of a blooming rose that she’d gotten on her chest, saying what a deep meaning it had to her and what each petal represented.

I called horseshit.

The tat itself was right where her heart (that is, if she was in a possession of one) was supposed to be. In order to do that (obviously) she was literally taking her clothes off. Well, for starters, her shirt.

“Jesus fucking Christ, Zoey,” I bellowed, making the mistake of looking over my shoulder to check up on Owen only to find him enthralled by what part of herself Zoey was revealing, both literally and figuratively, “do you mind keeping your clothes on?” I asked, already knowing that staying dressed for long periods of time was beyond Zoey Posner’s abilities. I had to yell to make myself heard because I’d turned on the radio as loud as it could go, so I didn’t have to listen to Zoey’s nasally voice when she was going on about what a stud Owen was. And okay, Owen was my friend and he was a darling, he was cute as hell, but a stud he was not.

I fought the urge to glue my eyes shut as I turned back around, facing the front at once before I saw anything else I wasn’t supposed to.

“And do you mind not being such a raging bitch all the time, Savannah?” she sneered at me, poking her brown-haired head through the gap between the two front seats to glare hatefully at me, but the feeling was mutual, no doubt about that.

“Did you just call me a bitch?” I shouted, my eyes flashing dangerously.

That was it. I already knew I couldn’t just sit still, so I unbuckled myself swiftly and went for it.

Zoey and I were screaming obscenities at each other as I tried to climb in the backseat whilst Connor was still driving, but that didn’t go well.

My ass must’ve been literally in Connor’s face as he was forced to pull over, grab me by the hips and coerce me into letting go of Zoey’s hair before she went bald, thanks to me.

Owen too had a hold onto the girl in question and somehow coaxed her into releasing the chunkful of my hair that she had in her hand.

Savannah,” Connor yelled at me, his hands still positioned on my hips strategically, sounding angrier than he’d ever been at me, “sit,” he ordered, making it blindingly clear that he was not about to repeat himself. I felt like a scolded puppy as I sat back down in my seat, but even I knew when to draw the line with Connor. It was hard to ignore the underlying threat that made its way into his voice – he wasn’t fooling around. I wouldn’t put it past him to leave me at the side of the road to hitchhike my way home.

“She called me a bitch,” I said petulantly, pouting as I pointedly stared straight ahead, ignoring the bitch in the backseat.

Zoey immediately started protesting in the back, but Connor shushed her.

“Are you guys good to walk from here?” Connor asked and as I looked around and paid attention to my surroundings, I realized we were three blocks away from Owen’s house.