10. Didn't Like Enough

Chapter 10: Didn't Like Enough

Naturally, I didn’t call my mother, like I’d promised my dad. I rarely made promises I actually kept, or had any intention of keeping, when it came to the evil witch and the little brat. I fully realized that eventually, this was going to come back and bite me in the ass when my dad literally dragged me by the hair to see my so-called family, even though he was the only family I cared about, but until that time came, I was going to keep playing the game.

So when I got a text from Hannah, saying that there was a party she wanted to check out, I jumped at the idea. I didn’t care who was hosting it, I didn’t care where it was, I didn’t care who was going. I immediately said yes.

I knew that drinking could never solve any of my problems, at least not permanently, but it did offer a temporary relief and that was what I was aiming for.

I threw on a pair of black skinny jeans, a low-cut top that showed off my chichis and I pulled my dark hair back until there was not a hair out of place and I felt like I’d cut off all circulation to my scalp. Beauty came at a price after all.

I was just finishing up with applying my make-up when I got another text from Hannah. It was already time to go.

By the time I snuck out of my house, it was way past eleven o’clock and my dad had gone to bed. I didn’t really need to sneak out of my house, like most kids my age had to these days, not because my dad was cool with me going out on a school night to get shit-faced, but because ever since the divorce, he needed to take sleeping pills to fall asleep. And when he did take them, which was basically every night, he was knocked out cold till the morning rolled around. He had no idea how many times I’d left the house when I was supposed to be sleeping soundly in my bed.

Even still, I always tried to be extra quiet because all I needed to do was make one mistake, get caught and dad would never look at me the same way again. He trusted me too much for his own good sometimes. I knew he wasn’t even going to be angry with me, not really, mostly just plain disappointed. When parents got mad at you for doing something stupid that you should’ve known better not to do, you knew that you were going to be punished somehow, but that also it was going to blow over, eventually. But my father didn’t do angry. He wasn’t about grounding me to teach me a lesson. He was going to get upset and sad. Punishment I could deal with, but seeing my dad sad because of something I’d done was going to break my heart all over again.

Pushing such dark thoughts out of my mind, I tried to lighten up. I’d been in a pretty foul mood, thanks to the whole Zoey fiasco and then dwelling on my family drama, and it showed. Now was not the time to be moody. Now was the time to get happy and drunk.

When I went outside though, I was surprised to find Margot’s car parked in my driveway and not Hannah’s. I really had no idea she was coming along.

Hannah rolled down the passenger window and stuck her head out. “Hurry up, bitch, we’re going to miss the party!” she yelled, giggling as Margot pulled her back inside.

I shook my head at her before I did as I was told and got into the car.

“Wake up the whole neighborhood, why don’t you?” I grunted, slamming the door after me as Margot turned on the ignition.

Ooh, someone’s in a prissy mood,” Hannah giggled drunkenly upon seeing the look on my face.

“And someone’s drunk,” I observed with my arms crossed across the chest, hating that I was already missing out on the fun.

“Who? Me?” Hannah pointed to herself, playing dumb, even though she should’ve known she couldn’t fool me. “Nope. I haven’t had a teeny, tiny drop of alcohol tonight,” she argued, clearly lying to me. “Ask Margot.”