13. Are We Done?

Chapter 13: Are We Done?

Seriously, how hard was it to pick up the phone and dial a number?

Well, way harder than it looked, that was for sure.

It was a no-brainer for me now why teenagers would rather text than call someone.

But the funny thing was, even with my fingertips hovering over the touchscreen of the keyboard, ready to type, I still couldn’t bring myself to move a muscle, much less make a move. What was I supposed to say?

You have my blessing to start shagging my boyfriend. Scratch that: ex-boyfriend.

I all but cracked up when I thought about this some more. Never in million years had I thought I’d be nervous about Connor dating some other girl. It wasn’t any of my business what (or who) he was doing. As far as I was concerned, we were done, too – more than done, but the thought of him going out with Margot, super fabulous and classy Margot, sent my brain into overdrive.

Why her, of all girls?

She should’ve just gone after him without asking me to okay it.

Against my better judgment, I dropped by Connor’s house instead of calling her up simply because Connor always seemed to know what I should do. This time, considering that the matter involved him directly, I hoped he could be of some help to me. Even so, I still felt uneasy, like I still had time to run before I did anything too stupid.

I rang the doorbell and waited, bouncing on the tip of my toes and sucking on my bottom lip. I could hear Connor coming down the hallway behind the closed door, his loud voice bouncing off the walls loud and clear as a day. The closer he got, the sweatier my palms got.

He swung the door open and I saw him balancing his cell between his shoulder blade and cheek as he took a big bite out of his pizza.

“…no, I swear if you say another word,” he was saying in the speaker, unmindful or simply not caring that he was speaking with his mouth full (knowing him, probably the latter), “I’ll whoop your ass so bad…” he jabbered on as he nodded his head at me in greeting and opened the door a little wider, letting me pass.

With my thoughts racing through my mind like crazy, I could barely hear a word he was saying.

He ended the call abruptly and put his cell back in his back pocket, sighing heavily.

“What was that about?” I asked out of curiosity as he rubbed his redshot eyes and Connor simply shook his head at me, as if to say I should’ve just forgotten about it.

“Nothing to concern your pretty little head with,” he joked as he ruffled my hair, but for once I didn’t give him hell for it. He swiveled around and started walking back towards the living room where I could plainly hear the boys playing video games, shooting imaginary monsters and messing around like they were prone to do.

“I thought you weren’t coming,” Connor was saying and I tuned in, trying to keep up with him.

“Changed my mind,” I said, but by that point I could already make out what the boys were saying, which meant they could’ve heard us, too, if they wanted to. That seemed to do the trick and kicked me into action. “Listen,” I blurted out, grabbing onto Connor’s hand and tugging him backwards before he made another step, which made him eye my hand clutching his and raise his eyebrows at me questioningly, wondering what was that about, “can I talk to you for a second?” I asked, sounding all businesslike before I lost all my bravado and chickened out.

“And what do you think we’re doing right now?” he asked jokingly, but now really wasn’t the time for him to be funny and charming and whatever the hell he thought he was doing. I dropped his hand at once and scowled up at him, annoyed.