12. Don't Leave a Sister Hanging

Chapter 12: Don't Leave a Sister Hanging

Since I’d gotten so good at avoiding people, I managed to dodge Margot for the rest of the day, which was a hard thing to pull off because dodging Margot was kind of like dodging a flying bullet. She was resourceful, she could find out where I was just by ordering her minions to track me down and she’d know where I was hiding in one minute flat. Jumping by the expectant, yet horrified look I glimpsed in her eyes before I bulldozed my way out of our history classroom before she had a chance to catch up with me, I could tell that our talk was far from over. I could see why she wanted…no, why she needed an answer from me.

But, considering I was in no mood to give any answers, I hid out in the library where I even had my lunch. I hadn’t resorted to such drastic measures even when I was a freshman and had no friends to speak of. But now that I was one of the populars, I had no one to share my lunch with, which was sort of depressing. Not sort of. Very depressing. But also, kind of necessary.

At the end of the school day, I was just glad that I could spend some alone time with Hannah and talk it all out with her, thinking she may have had more insight in this. When I started walking over to her jeep, though, I saw that Margot was already leaning against it and she and Hannah were talking animatedly, oblivious that I was watching them from distance.

When Margot saw me an unreadable look passed over her face, but I couldn’t make anything of it because Hannah had thrown her arms around me and had blocked my view.

“Where have you been?” Hannah demanded to know once she’d pulled away, but she still kept me at arm’s length, as if I was about to flee. Clever girl. “I haven’t seen you since this morning. Margot and I have started thinking you were going to flake out on us,” Hannah said accusingly, punching me slightly in the shoulder, but I didn’t feel a thing because I was too focused thinking not about the pain, but something else entirely.

Us?” I repeated dumbly. “You’re coming with us, too?” I asked, directing my question towards Margot who simply nodded in reply, giving me a speculative look.

“Is that okay?” she asked, raising one perfectly plucked eyebrow at me challengingly and I forced myself to act like I wasn’t throw off balance.

“Yeah, of course,” I shrugged flippantly, rolling my eyes, “why wouldn’t it be? That’s awesome. The more, the merrier,” I replied, trying to convince not just them, but myself, too.

But even still, I’d already taken one step backwards, trying to put more distance between me and the girls so when I spotted Rachel’s head in distance, an idea came to me.

“Oh, guys, shoot, I forgot,” I cursed, slapping a hand to my forehead and looking remorseful, even though inwardly I was simply relieved, “I promised Rachel I’d hang out with her today. My dad’s been nagging at me for being a total bitch to her, so he wants me to make amends. I really have to split. You guys go ahead, I’ll catch up with you later, okay?” I told Hannah and pointedly avoided looking anywhere near Margot as I started walking backwards with my hands raised in surrender.

“You’re bailing on me?” Hannah asked in disbelief, her mouth wide open, but all I could do was shrug in response before I swiveled around and made a beeline for Rachel just as she was about to get into her mini cooper, a present from dad for her sixteenth birthday.

“Savannah,” she said my name almost in a daze as she froze in place, her hand still on the handle, probably wondering what the hell I thought I was doing.

Well, I was making my great escape, for one.

“Just,” I started, hoping she’d stop gawking at me, as if I was an alien and not ask any stupid questions, “follow my lead, okay?” I slip into the passenger seat of her car, and then closed the door behind me. Soon Rachel did the same, much to my relief.