Chapter Twelve

December, 1996

It was a late Friday night and Joshua was so excited. As promised from his parents he was going to see his favorite team play tonight.

The Chicago Bulls.

This was the only thing the well behaved first grader asked for Christmas/Birthday and he was actually getting it. His father thought it was only right for his beloved baby boy.

Joshua's Father, Michael; was a hard working man and would do anything to make sure his son was happy. Now, the seats he purchased were costly but he knew it would be worth it when he saw the smile on his son's face.
The Knicks were playing against the Bulls this night. Even though Josh and his father are New York natives they both were huge fans of the Chicago Bulls.

It was such a great game. The Chicago Bulls won and Josh couldn't be any happier.

Overall he had a great time. Throughout the night, that smile never left Joshua's face. This was the best night of his life.

After the game, Josh and his parents went out to eat at Josh's favorite place - McDonalds- he loved to play in the play pin but only after he finished his food like his mother instructed.

" Pops, did you see how Mike shot that three pointer?" Josh beamed with enthusiasm

" Yes hijo, I did. Now finish your food so you can have time to play." Michael smiled at his son, happy to see him excited.

"Okay, Dad."

While Josh finished up his food and went to go play, his parents discussed their plans for Josh's 7th birthday party coming up soon.

He was also excited about that too. He wanted to have a school party so all his friends would be able to come but his mom talked to all the other parents and they helped her plan a party for her baby boy. 

Josh came back to his parents sluggishly expressing how he was tired. It was way past his bedtime so they both decided it was time to head home.

Once he was strapped into his car seat and secure, Michael started up the car and the family was on their way home. 

After about twenty minutes of driving, the family was about three blocks away from their destination when they were hit by another car on the intersection. The other car came full speed smashing into Andrea's passenger side.

The hit was so intense that it made Josh's father whole body jerk sideways onto the driver's side window.

Josh was strapped into seat securely, so his forehead hit the back of his mother seat.

Then the Air bags dropped.

Soon enough the ambulance had arrived for the family. 

They were all carefully placed into the ambulance and transported to the hospital.

Josh was laying on a stretcher in the ambulance without his parents and two strangers in his face, asking him questions so he could stay awake.

All he could do is cry.

When they finally arrived at the hospital, Josh was out into a separate room from his parents. He didn't understand why. Honestly, he didn't understand most of what was going on tonight. All he knows is his parents are hurt.

After about a hour a nurse came and gave him some pain medicine for his headache. It was so bad that Josh passed out when he arrived at the hospital. 

Later that night another nurse came into his room with another lady with her. Josh knee she didn't work There because she on a different then the nurse and doctor he saw earlier in the night. She was a fair skinned woman, with short curly hair and freckles scattered across her face. Josh thought she had a nice smile.

The lady walked up to him and waved.

" Hello, Joshua. I'm Ms.Brinks."

Josh never seen this lady before and his mother taught him to never talk to strangers. So he didn't know how she knew his name.

"Where's my parents miss? And how you know my name?"

Ms.Brinks giggled at the child's inquisitive behavior

" Your parents are in there rooms with the doctors. They're getting checked up just like you did"

"Oh okay." Josh was content

Josh continued to speak with the woman. He learned she worked with the socials, he thinks that what she said. She explained that she little boys and girls when there parents are sick or hurt.

" so like a babysitter? Ion like my baby sitter" Josh exclaimed

" Kinda like a babysitter. Sometimes I have to keep the children in other homes because they're parents need time to get better.

" why?" That didn't sound right to Josh at all.

" because sometimes parents get hurt really bad and they can't care for their kids like mommy and daddies should. So other mommy and daddies try to help."
She tried to explain it as best as she could.

" Do i have to go to another home?"

That's when Josh realized that maybe his parents are not okay. His mommy didn't come to kiss him goodnight and his dad didn't come read him his favorite book.

Ms.Brinks didn't expect for a six year old to comprehend what she said so well and she for damn sure didn't know how to respond to his question. Especially since his parents aren't out of surgery yet. She hates this part of her job.

Watching these children's heart break within seconds.

" I don't know, Joshua."

Josh pouted, not satisfied with that answer.

" how about you get some sleep and I come back to see you tomorrow " she gave me a faint smile

" Okay, goodnight Miss."

" Goodnight Joshua."

*

The next morning, Josh woke up early and was disappointed to see he was still in hospital.

The rest of the morning was a blur to him.

He had countless nurses and doctors in and out of his room. Until Ms.Brinks came back in the afternoon but she had police with her.

" Hi Joshua, i brought these police with me to see if they could help you remember what happened last night."

"Miss, ion really 'memeber that much " Josh shrugged

" Well can you try for me honey?"

Josh shook his head and the officer handed him a piece of paper to write down what happened. Since he was only six, the officer let him draw pictures.

***

After that day, Joshua was placed in a group home with boys his age. He never got to say goodbye to his parents

He never got celebrate his birthday either.

Josh stayed in the group home until he was nine years old.

He was moved with new foster parents. Garret and Ember. He learned to love them and their new born daughter as time went onside and vice versa.

As should grew older he learned how his parents died and he came to terms with it.

He knows that his parents will always love him and they're watching over their baby boy always.