starboy

"blood is beautiful, you know?"

taehyung slurred incoherent words to no one in particular, the lingering smell of bathroom sex and old tequila filling his lungs with a sour taste. music blasted through the dark bar, lights flashing on and off all around him with enough intensity to blind him and make his head spin.

"so are bones," he murmured, syllables blending into each other as he waved a wine glass in front of his face. "beautiful."

he leaned forward, coughing and laughing with a drunken gaze in his eyes.

"what's a pretty thing like you doing here?"

the voice came from the left, and taehyung looked to the side to find a young man, probably a year or two older than himself, sitting in the chair beside him with a curious, almost sinister look in his eyes.

"a pretty thing, huh?"

taehyung laughed again, hand clasping at his stomach as he leaned forward, eyes crinkling into crescents.

"you look underage."

"well, i'm not."

taehyung was a good liar.

he could lie without a single blink, whether he was drunk or sober, and he could lie with the most convincing voice imaginable. but his lie didn't seem to work with this man who responded scoffing.

"bullshit. how'd you get in?"

taehyung shrugged nonchalantly. "i snuck in when the guy wasn't looking," he murmured. "i'm small enough to slip by."

the man looked at him, a questioning look gracing over his features like a blurry sandstorm. he smoothed his hair back, lips dry and cracked and chapped and eyes brown and sad.

"the stars are beautiful too," taehyung slurred, a half smile flashing over his face because he was too uncoordinated to properly smile.

"what stars?"

"those ones."

taehyung pointed to the ceiling at the christmas lights hung up. he smiled again, closing his eyes completely as he did so.

"they're christmas lights at a low budget bar," yoongi said.

"they're still pretty, and they look like stars."

"only because you're mad drunk, starboy."

"i thought i was taehyung?"

yoongi grinned, in spite of himself, at the drunk, lost teenage boy sitting at a bar drinking his night away. he slowly took in the boy's features; the dark eyes, the undereye circles that reflected nothing but complete and utter exhaustion, the thick lips, the skinny legs and skinny arms and tiny waist all wrapped up in thick clothes. he took in the bony wrist that peeked out from under the boy's sleeve, and took in the red gashes and the bruise that wrapped around his skin.

"i'm yoongi, starboy."

"that's a very nice name."

taehyung fell against the bar, eyes drooping as he coughed again. he put down the wine glass and wiped his hand on his pants.