20. Strings; Chapter II.

Ben said I look like an angel.

    Just so you get the picture, my hair is nearly white and my eyes are a faded blue, also nearly white. And being British, I'm also pale. I was made fun of at school that I could blend with the wall. (To tell the truth I kind of agree with them.)

    He says I look innocent and gentle and soft. That's why he sometimes has that longing expression when he looks at me. He examines me like I'm and extraterrestrial being, too 'magnificent' and 'beautiful' to be on this tarnished land. He's making sure I don't lose my purity.

    I laughed quietly at him. "Purity? I look like those kids with cancer. You know, I don't have enough pigments to give me any colour," I said jokingly.

    He called me an angel. I called him an electric wire for his smile. Can't get any more creative than that.

    He shook his head. "No, I don't think so. You're not sick-looking."

    I snorted. "Well thank you. You're not sick-looking either."

    "Shut up you two! You'll get us both in trouble!" Flintstone whisper-shouted at us.

    I covered my mouth, trying not to laugh. Ben hid his face in my shoulder and I felt his shoulder shaking as he chuckled.

    We were in my bed again, close by. It wasn't as awkward as the first times. I felt comforted by Ben rather than stressed by his presence.

    We lay down together and I used his elbow as a pillow. I rubbed my eyes with the back of my hand. "I'm not an angel," I said slowly, sleep deprivation taking its toll on me.

    Ben touched my eyelid and it felt like a feather passing over it. "Angels save people," he said. "You saved me."

    I wanted to say he was wrong. Angels don't save people, they just guide the dead to safety. Are we already dead? Am I just guiding Ben to safety? Is there any safety?

    Ben brushed my hair back. It's unbelievable he ever held a gun in the hand that so gently came into contact with my skin. The hand that will be covered in blood one day.