2. UPSIDE DOWN

O L I V I A

If there was a dumb thing I never expected in my life, it was a sorority house.

The Greek letters embedded on the gate's pillar was a slap to my personality. Who knew Olivia Maree Thompson, ex-Pearce was gonna end up in this shining, shimmering, and splendid place? It was like I was cast on a rom-com film but would probably do villain things for real. Certainly, this educational and glamorous place was going to be trouble in paradise in my vocabulary. However, knowing that Bree would be here, I was willing to resist my carnal-self to put this house on fire. Arson was not my specialty.

But I was disgusted at the landscape of the garden behind the gate. Who in the right mind put a fountain in the middle with a statue of a woman holding a bow and arrow pointed at you? And why there was an owl robot at the top of the pillar as if it was watching me stereotyping this place? Well, probably it was still early to judge. Mah mistake!

Dragging my feet with my luggage behind me, I pushed the doorbell button twice. Seconds after, I heard a robotic sound causing me to look up at the owl. Holy munchkin! It was really a robot stereotyping me with its camera eyes! It felt like it was scanning me from head to toe with X-ray vision techno! I was actually hiding a switchblade inside my pocket, should I kill it or not?

"Who are you, commoner?"

A machinelike girly voice snapped my killing instinct. A speaker that I made sure wasn't there sticking on the wall before was now talking to me. Good Lord, the speaker called me a commoner.

"Ummm, I am Olivia Maree Thompson. I came with a recommendation letter from the..." I looked down to the paper I was holding and continued with, ".... from the Sylvester?"

"Sylvester?" the speaker responded firmly, "Recommendation for what? For being our garbage cleaner."

I clenched my jaw as she laughed through the small machine, mocking me. She was being a successful bitch and her bitch ass is gonna be shoved down in that arrow if I put away my hallelujah halo from my head.

"No, my university provided me this address for my accommodation," I calmly spoke.

"What?! Are you real?"

I looked up at the owl and rolled my eyes, getting impatient already.

"Bree?! Did your Mom send this shit in front of our gate?"

I was going to murder her for calling me that way but all my killing intent toned down once I heard Bree's name. There was a murmur in the background and I listened closely.

Then the same voice cleared their throat before she spoke, "Look, that trick is not going to work, honey. I know that this sorority is a huge deal for everybody but you don't have to fake a document, especially if it's from the Sylvester. That family is not generous so it's clearly impossible. Just go away and get a life, alright? Ciao!"

"W-Wait!" I shouted desperately. "Bree! It's me... Olivia! Remember?"

There was a short silence before the same voice retaliated, "Bree! For the love of God, do you even know her? She's so resilient! My mochaccino is already getting cold. Can you stop panicking over the things you always forget? Look at her goddamn face!"

I heard a rustle over the speaker as I gulped in anticipation. Looking up at the camera, I held my luggage so tight, knowing Bree was only a speaker away from me. It was a foreign feeling to be concerned over the presence of a stupid girl whom I met on that snow-white occasion. Foreign and peculiar.