Episode 7- Supply Run

The day finally came for my next mission and I could hear my radio attached to my hip coming to life. I was expecting Sam's voice but again, it was Janine who I could hear.

"Runner 5! Runner 5? What do I tell her Mr. Yao?"

"Give the mic to me." I could hear Sam's voice in the background. Then it got louder as he grabbed the mic and pulled it close to him. "Hey Runner 5, we're changing things up a bit. Isn't that exciting?" It sounded like he was talking to Janine as he said, "You have to keep this button pressed down when you need to talk and lean a bit this way so your body's a bit—eh, extends the area a bit and—"

"Good grief, is this the way you've been managing things all these months?"

"Yeah, pretty much, I can make it work..." Sam pouted.

"Maybe if you just get this plugged in here," Janine said and I could hear some clicking noises in the background. "Then you can sit back..."

"Oh yeah....I knew that," Sam muttered. "I didn't know that at all." He starts talking to me again as I hooked up my headset and turned on my mic. "So, Runner 5....Er, Allie?"

"Why are you calling her that?" Janine asked. "Are you two on first name basis now?"

"No," I said before Sam could. "I just told him that if he could figure out my real name by this mission then I'll tell him my whole life story. But it seems he's still just giving me girl names..."

"Hmm," Janine said. "What hints have you gave him, Five?"

"That I have a name that's for a boy and girl," I said.

"Is your name Sam too?" She joked.

"Nope," I said. "Now, back to the mission guys."

"Er, right, well, we have a treat for you today," Sam said, as if almost heartbroken. "Janine will be your controller, leading you on a very special assignment. Right Janine?"

"Don't patronize me, Mr. Yao," Janine said angrily.

"I wasn't," Sam said. "I, uh, well, er..." He sighed.

"Runner 5," Janine said in a not very happy tone. "Just run."

The gates slid open and I ran into the wilderness. I ran over a mile before I heard Janine in my head again.

"Very simple expedition for you today Runner 5," Janine said. "Nothing too taxing. We just have to make sure this is just done as swiftly and quickly as possible—"

"That's why we call them Runners, you know..." I heard Sam say in the background.

"Yes, quite. We are low on cables and electronic supplies, stuff like that. They are becoming harder to find as time goes on. Weather corrodes them and mice chew them up. That's why I need you to go to New Canton."

"New Canton?" Sam said in a curious tone.

"That is what I said," Janine said. "It's all very straight forward, Mr. Yao. We treat New Canton as our enemy, why?"

"Because...well...they enforce martial law over there and they refuse to take any of our people in when under attack," Sam explained. "And they are getting too big...and they are having dangerous outbreaks of zombie plague—"

"They are still human, Mr. Yao," Janine said. "If we can't stick together, we can't expect to survive this extinction threat. I've been in touch with the people at New Canton. They'll be waiting for Runner 5."

"I don't think that sounds as good as I think, you think it sounds," Sam says uneasily.

"It's going to be fine," Janine says and then tells me to keep running. "Trust me, everything's going to be fine..."