4 | big trouble

4 | BIG TROUBLE

The moment the final school bell rang, Valentina sped out of Ms

The moment the final school bell rang, Valentina sped out of Ms. Green's classroom. The other students were too busy giggling at Ezekiel because he had won the poem contest in the class, but Valentina was more focused on beginning her summer vacation.

As Valentina was speeding down the halls, she heard a feminine voice call her name from afar. Valentina stopped rushing down the hall and looked around. Her eyes landed on Star, whom was tugging Simone along from behind her. Valentina smiled and waved at the familiar face.

"Hey, Val." Star greeted.

"Hey sistas." Valentina smiled at both Simone and Star.

Simone smiled shyly at Valentina, attempting to conceal her doped up face. "You busy tonight?" Star inquired.

Valentina sucked in a breath through her teeth and nodded. "Sorry, Star, I might already be going out tonight with that new girl, Joelle." Valentina cocked her head to the side.

"Joelle Tealer?" Simone piped up, her eyes widening as she realized who Valentina was referring to.

"Uh huh." Valentina bobbed her head.

Simone ran a frantic hand through her hair. "Her brother is fine, like, unimaginably fine! Val, you better hit that asap!" Simone exclaimed.

Valentina shushed Simone. "You can't say that out loud, they go here too." Val scoffed.

Star waved her sister off. "He ain't even that cute. I got me a boy toy named Hunter, now he is a sight for sore eyes." Star bragged.

Simone and Val huffed in unison. "Anywho, I was wonderin' if you wanted to come with us tonight. Our group finally got a manager, Jahil, and he wants to add in another act to Big Trouble. I thought of you." Star informed.

An idea had just then dawned upon Val. Joelle had been wanting to form a girl group for her little gig she had going on, and Star's group was looking for additions too. "Joelle was actually looking to make a girl group too, she was going to show me what she is trying to do sometime soon. Though, I don't know when..." Val trailed off.

Simone shot a look to Star. "What if we add the both of y'all in. Jahil was looking for versatility, you think she got that?" Star asked.

Valentina shrugged. Before anyone else could speak, two more people joined the conversation: Michael and Joelle Tealer. "Heard y'all was talkin' 'bout me." Joelle smirked.

Valentine greeted her with a warm smile, and only quickly glanced at Michael. "Well, why don't you two join us tonight so I can show you what I'm trying to do." Joelle offered.

"I've got to go to Les Inferno first, my mama said she's got business to take care of tonight there." Valentina frowned at her conflicting event.

"She can get in just like that?" Simone queried.

Valentina nodded. "I heard Mylene, Regina and Yolanda are trying to get in tonight to get some DJ to play Mylene's recording she made." Star mentioned.

Simone gasped. "Jahil was trying to talk to some woman named Fat Annie at Les Inferno too." Simone stated.

"Probably to get some crack."
"Or to get some money."
"...for crack."

The two broke off the group conversation to whisper about Jahil's crack addiction briefly. "How about we all go with you, Val, and from there we'll go to the party I want to take you guys to?" Joelle suggested.

All of the girls looked at each other, made noises of agreement and nodded. "Alright then, see you later at Les Inferno." Joelle waved the three goodbye and walked away, leaving her brother standing there staring blankly at Valentina.

Val coughed to break his gaze. Simone and Star saw that as their cue to meander away. "Ahem. Sorry. I kinda zoned out with my sister's plans." Michael shook his head.

"That's alright." Valentina smiled.

"She likes to do what I do, but make it girly." Michael rolled his eyes in annoyance.

Valentina shrugged. "And what do you do, exactly, Michael?" Val questioned.

"The get down." Michael smirked, running his tongue along his dry, bottom lip.

"Huh?" Valentina furrowed her brows.

Michael chuckled. "It's what Jo's going to show you later. It's quite popular in the Bronx, it wasn't very well-known in Queens, but we liked to do it." Michael explained.

Valentina nodded, partially understanding what he had said. "So, I'll see you later, then?" Val smirked.

Michael bit his lip. "I really wasn't invited by Jo, but I'll find a way to convince her to not yell at me when I show up at the party for you." Michael winked.

Valentina blushed. "Then I'll see you later, Mr. Tealer." Valentina said before she spun on her heel and left the school.