19 | plus one

19 | PLUS ONE

Valentina was at home alone, blasting the radio as she danced around her room

Valentina was at home alone, blasting the radio as she danced around her room. She sang along to the popular songs and rapped freely in the parts of the songs that had no words to it. She loved the way the music sounds as she added to it.

The song she had been listening to and the radioman began to shout like a DJ over the air. "Now, I've got something fresh, something new for the air. It's never been played over the air and now, it's about to be." The man then hushed himself and played the song.

Valentina listened in and listened to the beginning beat. It sounded all too familiar, then when the artist began to sing— she screamed. Valentina jumped up and down shrieking and she recognized Star's voice over the radio. The popular radio station was playing one of Big Trouble's songs.

Valentina ran out of her apartment, to the apartment across the hall. She banged on Ms. Carlotta's door, and Ms. Carlotta swung open the door with a worried expression. "Big Trouble is on the radio!" Valentina exclaimed.

Carlotta's eyes widened then she beamed. "Simone, Star! Your song is on the radio!" Carlotta shouted from behind her.

The two girls came running and Valentina led them into her apartment where the song was blasting on the radio. The three shrieked in unison and jumped around. "How the hell did this happen?" Valentina asked as she listened into the song.

"Jahil must've worked some of his magic." Star smirked as she paused from singing her verse in the song.

Valentina heard her rap begin and she began to rap along to it. The words flowed so greatly together and she never thought that anyone other than the group would've ever been able to hear it.

"We finally made it!"

* * *

The next day, Star had informed Valentina of the Get Down battle between the Notorious Three and the Fantastic Four plus One. The event had only been announced the day before, and Star had only heard about it that morning. Not even Ezekiel informed Valentina about it because it was planned so suddenly. Star didn't know how they were going to battle it out, but all she knew was that there were going to be a lot of people there... and she heard it was going to be quite fun.

There had to be around a hundred people there by the time Star and Val had arrived. The place was packed and people were being stuffed into the small area between the two stages. "Look." Star pointed at a very confused Shaolin.

Val looked at the stage and counted the number of boys on the stage. There were only four. One of them was missing, and it was prohibiting them from starting the show. "I think they're waiting on someone." Valentina noted.

Star analyzed the stage. "It's Ezekiel. He's the only one not there." Star scoffed, crossing her arms.

A firm hand was placed on Valentina's waist. Valentina scrunched up her face in a disgusted manner, thinking that it was some hoodlum trying to hit on her. She shot her head around, then recognized the person that had touched her: Michael Tealer. Her disgusted face faded into a soft smile at the sight.

"Look who decided to show up somewhere." Valentina joked.

"I know I disappeared for a few days, but that's because I was working on something." Michael hurriedly explained himself.

Valentina's brow quirked upward. "What were you working on?" She questioned.

"I was inspired by you." Michael smiled down at Valentina.

Valentina cocked her head. "To do what?"

"To go after my dreams." Michael stated simply. He then went on to explain to her that he found a producer that was willing to make him a demo, and that they were working together to get signed onto a label. He explained to her that he had been in the studio singing and recording songs.

"That's amazing." Valentina clasped her hand together, admiringly.

Star, nosily, had been listening in on their conversation and finally piped up. "Ezekiel is missing and the Fantastic Four won't function without its plus one. You think you can pull out some of those singing skills to fill in for him up on stage?" Star asked.

Michael looked at Valentina with an unsure look. "I can write you a couple verses and you just sing 'em up there." Valentina offered.

Michael slowly nodded, and with that, Valentina set off looking for some pen and paper while Star went to inform Shaolin of Michael'a temporary addition to the group.