Chapter 3

“Are you sure we’re on the right place?” tinignan niya ang paligid na puro puno and one giant rock formation that is 50 ft tall she guessed.

“You know my sense of direction is 100 percent accurate… unlike someone.” pasipul niyang sabi at tumingin tingin kung saan-saan.

“Anung sabi mo?!” akmang susuntokin niya na si rory pero pinigilan niyan ito.

“God! you’re scary when you get mad. That’s why you don’t have any boyfriend.”

Inirapan niya lang ito kasi pag pinatulan niya pa baka nakahiga na siya sa freezer ng morgue.

Nag simula na silang maghanap kung saan saan. Naghukay, nagputol ng mga damo at kahit mga bato tinitignan nila ang ilalim nito nag-babakasakaling nandoon ang hinahanap nila.

“Ah! I’m tired of this. Anu ba talaga hinahanap natin?” umupo siya sa isang patag na bato.

“A treasure chest? a door? anything that fit’s this key”

Nakaupo parin si Rory habang patuloy na nag hanap si Elizabeth. Tapping the walls of a huge rock formation in the middle of the forest when she realizes that the sounds are different.

“Hoy Rory lumapit ka nga dito.”

“Anu na naman yan?!” he whined but still lumapit pa rin siya.

“Try tapping this rock,” he tapped the rocks with his knife, “It’s different right?” he then agreed so inutusan niya si Rory na kumuha ng sledgehammer.

“Wow this thing is heavy” then he smashed the walls over and over, and over again until small a piece was removed. Lumapit si elizabeth dito at tinignan ang loob, it’s pitch dark but she can feel the air passing through the hole.

“Keep smashing.”

The rock was thicker than they expected and Rory was so tired smashing it and holding a 16 lbs of hammer, so she helped. The help she made was by kicking the walls, unexpectedly the rocks broke an opening; a huge one. Rory was shocked how one kick from her made such a huge hole in the wall.

“You’re really scary.”

Unang pumasok si elizabeth sa loob. It was still pitch dark ahead so she opened her flashlight and spot the tunnel around. The light outside was not enough to shine the whole tunnel, that means it’s pretty deep than it looks and the air is still there. She thought that there must be an exit there.

“Let’s go”

“Are we really going inside? By the looks of it, it’s scary”

“Don’t be such a baby. Let’s go”

Rory has a nyctophobia, that means his scared of the dark.  She never really understood why his so afraid of the dark in his age. Maybe she thought that something must have happen in the dark and never told her about it. Pinapabayaan niya nalang ito na nakakapit sa kanya kasi wala siyang magawa, she needs a companion inside even if his useless kung anu mang mangyari sa loob.

They have been walking for the past 30 minutes and they never really reach the end of the tunnel yet but the air is getting stronger and stronger. She thought that they must be close to the exit.

That’s what she guessed, but after a few minutes of walking they saw a whole on the ground. She looked through the hole and noticed that the air they were feeling is coming from that hole.

“That’s weird.” she then walked and inspect the surroundings of the hole pero pinigilan siya ni rory.

“Bakit na naman ba?”

“Please don’t leave me”

She just sighed at rory’s plead. Para siyang may kasamang bata.

“Hold this,” she gave the flashlight to him, “shine the spot I’m going, okay? That way you can still see me and I’m still here”

He nodded at her and she then walked. She touched the wall and it was solid ground. She thought that there is no way they could dig this wall. The only way out is where they came from.

Lalapit na sana siya kay rory pero hindi niya napansin na meroong botilya ng coke sa susunod niyang hakbang. In a split second she slipped and fell back first on the hole.

The last thing she saw and heard was Rory’s shocked expression and his shouting.

“ELIZABEEEEEEETH!”