Chapter 11: Hidden Secrets

Sirens screamed as red safety lights flooded over the interior of the u-boat. Pete, with shoulders that bled and dripped down his uniform wrapped his scraped hands around a metal bar and dragged himself forwards, pushing against the movement of the boat to reach the periscope. Unlocking it he quickly snapped it open to survey the empty sea. The grinding of metal echoed through the boat as it screeched along with alarms. He heard the announcement that they were hit by an English boat.
"Schnell, verstecke den Kodex, die Engländer haben Kontrolle über das Schiff genommen!"

Damage spreading through the hull and only worsening from pressure they were forced to surface, knowing they should be boarded. Brendon seized the codex and looked to Pete as Pete, without a sound, slid his eyes towards his seat. The metal was cracked open just large enough to wedge the code book into. Pete locked up the periscope once again and ran to assist Brendon in hiding the book. Using a tool from the mechanic he took a small sheet of metal and welded it to the seat to cover the books location. It blended seamlessly with the bench lining it. Jumping on the seat with Brendon beside him he grabbed his gun and held onto metal piping as the Unterseeboot began its ascent.

Water cascading off the top white droplets rolled off the boat and Pete ran to the hatch, placing a foot on the first rung of the ladder he swung his leg up and placed a hand on the inside. Gun loaded and  pointed upwards he carefully unlocked the hatch after indication of the captain. Immediately he was snatched and pulled up as his gun was kicked down the ladder, giving an indication of his capture.

"Ich habe ein Team 12 an Bord meines Schiffes." At his words 6 soldiers closest to the mechanics door slipped inside and locked the door, packing themselves into the room with the 4 other men, each one hiding themselves in the bowels of the ship. A voice drifted from above, a voice the men didn't recognise.
"Aye mate well lucky for ya that I don't know a lick a German so how bouts you say what yer already did in English huh?" Strong Irish accent accompanied by a gently voice met the ears of the men below as Pete's thick German accent could be heard in broken English.

"I said that this ship has 12 aboard. You haven't shot me yet so I figured you'd be taking prisoners." A quiet chuckle met his words as the Irish soldier grabbed Pete and dragged him towards his own ship.
"Right you are mate. So tell me your name son, need a do a lil counts for everyone aight?" His blonde hair glinted from underneath his hat as the soldier kept a firm grasp on Pete's arm. With a callous smile Pete mocked politeness.
"The names Pete Wentz. But it would be nice to know yours." With a laugh from Pete the Irish soldier rolled his eyes.
"Names Patrick Stump but I tell ya what, you won't remember the name for much longer seein' as ta where yer goin'." He pushed Pete onto his own vessel, as Pete was disarmed. He didn't fight back. After all, where would he go? Resisting would only make it harder and would only guarantee that he was killed. Considering the situation it was most likely he would be a prisoner of war. That didn't matter to him, as long as everyone aboard was safe. As long as he had saved some lives in a world where everyone seems to do nothing but die, he would be okay.