The Final Farewell (Haikyuu!!)

Ship: KageHina

Word Count: 500

It's the last day of their third year. They've had a good run; Made it to nationals all three times, partly thanks to the team's freak duo of Kageyama Tobio and Hinata Shoyo. A heavy atmosphere hangs over the gym as the third years go through their final practice as members of the Karasuno High School Volleyball Club. As it gets later and later, some of the boys begin to filter out with their heads hanging low. But the freak duo remains even after the gym is supposed to be locked up, just like they always have. But they can both feel the suffocating silence and the horrible finality of it all. After tonight, there won't be any more squabbles between the two. No more syncing with each other, no more teammates pretending not to notice their flirting, no more watching each other more than the other players. After a few moments of silence, they realize that neither of them has done anything since the now-ex-team captain, Yamaguchi, left them with a sad wave and teary eyes. Hinata is the first to speak, as always.

"Kageyama, I--"

"Tobio." Says the other male in response, cutting him off without looking away from the floor. "Call me Tobio."

"Tobio, I--I think we both know what I want to say. What I've been wanting to say since first year, but I didn't--I could never--" He takes a deep breath to steady himself. "Tobio, I--"

"I know." Says the taller male, stopping him before he has to hear the words, has to think about it. "I do too." He never even realized he was crying until suddenly /his/ ace is standing in front of him, wiping his tears away as tears also roll down his own cheeks.

"Stupid Kageyama." The fiery-haired young man says with a small laugh that's too thick with tears as he brings back the nickname from their first year.

"Dumbass Hinata." The taller male responds in kind, no venom left in his words anymore. They look at each other for a moment, and then suddenly they're in each other's arms.

The pair sobs, tells stories, laughs, sobs some more, and somewhere in there was a kiss, soft and sweet and way too short for either of their liking, but they can't do that now. It's too late to get invested in anything, so they settle for holding each other. After a long time, they reluctantly pull apart.

"Shoyo." Tobio says, looking at the smaller young man in front of him with a forced smile. "It's been an honor to play with you."

Shoyo begins sobbing again, nodding as he hears the words that are replacing a goodbye. "Yeah, I--It was an honor to--to share a court with the King." And then they somehow find each other's arms again, somehow crying harder than they were before.

And again, after a long time, they finally pull apart, and Shoyo says the only thing he can to make this final and to make these last moments with his partner really last.

"Toss to me."