Crashing Waves (Haikyuu!!)

Ship: UshiTana

Word Count: 824

Other Notes: Basically I just wanted to make a mermaid AU and my rp group has UshiTana which is super rare, so there isn't anything written about it. So, now there's this thing.

Tanaka has always loved the ocean. It's the only thing that's calm in his life; constant. Things always change around him and his life is quite hectic, what with recently moving and now living with his sister rather than his parents. He sighs as he looks out at the water, his feet dangling on the edge of the rocks. He isn't supposed to be in this area because it's dangerous. There are several accounts of people going missing in this area.

Humans aren't the only ones that know this. Ushijima pops his head out of the water somewhere to the side of the young man, tilting his head slightly. It's been a long time since he's seen a human. They're all wary of the dangers around this area, even though they don't know what's at fault for the disappearances.

"You shouldn't be here." Ushijima states simply, his voice low as he keeps most of his body underwater. Tanaka jumps, nearly falling into the cold water. He looks around him with wide eyes, trying to find the source of the voice.

"I know. But you shouldn't be here either. Plus, I'm not the one that's in the water." He says smugly.

Ushijima furrows his brow slightly, not understanding why he wouldn't be allowed to go here. The water is his home. "I am allowed to be in this area. You are not. You cannot swim properly anyways." He says, confused. Doesn't he know who - or rather, what - he's talking to?

"Pfft. I'm a great swimmer. I'll show ya!" He says, standing up on the rock and tearing his shirt off in one fluid movement.

"I would advise you not to do that. Humans don't fare well in this area." He says calmly. He raises out of the water the a bit more, the iridescent green skin on his waist now available just above the water as he prepares to save this human from his own stupidity.

"Whatever, man. If you're gonna swim here, so am I!" He says before recklessly diving into the water. He almost hits his head on the jagged rocks below the surface; almost. But lucky for him, Ushijima swims forward and catches him directly below the surface of the water.

"I told you that you should not do that." He says, sounding the slightest bit annoyed as he pulls Tanaka out of the water, the other male coughing and spluttering. His bare legs brush against his tail and his eyes widen as he pushes himself out of the other's arms. He pulls himself up to sit on a rock that's just above the surface of the ocean.

"What the hell was that?" He asks, pulling his legs up onto the rocks with him.

"Are you referring to my tail?" Ushijima asks, clearly confused. He lays back to lift his tail out of the water, green iridescent skin fading into green scales which in turn fades into black scales and at the end, two black fins.

Tanaka gasps as he flips upwards again, his tail going back under the water. "I-What? Why do you have a tail?!" He asks, somehow not managing to put two and two together.

"I am a merman. I believed that much was obvious." He says, clearly confused by this entire exchange. He hasn't met many humans in his life, but none of the ones he had met had been this dense.

Tanaka laughs at that. "Wh-No you're not. Mermen aren't--They don't exist. Seriously, how'd you get it to look so real?" He asks, leaning forward. He strokes the scales before moving his hands down to his fins.

Ushijima shudders at this feeling, the touch being extremely intimate for his kind. "Do not--Do not do that. I can assure you, you will regret it." He says, his pupils growing larger. Tanaka doesn't listen, however, and only strokes his fin again with a grin on his face. He looks afraid, however, when Ushijima's go completely black and he tugs him closer.

Ushijima grips his arms tightly, pulling him tightly against him as he leans forward, kissing him deeply. Tanaka automatically kisses him back, something he hadn't been expecting. He releases his arms, and as soon as he does, Tanaka reaches up and holds the side of his neck gently. He gasps as his gills are touched (they close when they go above water so they can breathe through their nose and mouth instead), not expecting the sudden touch to the sensitive area.

He breathes heavily, eyes still black, although Tanaka looks far less frightened now. "What is you name?" Ushijima pants.

"Tanaka Ryuunosuke. But just--Call me Ryu. What's your name?" He asks.

"Ushijima Wakatoshi. I do not have a preference for what you call me."

Tanaka thinks for a minute. "I'll call you Ushi!" He says triumphantly. "Well, I gotta go home. Sis wants me to go shopping with her. See ya later Ushi!"

Ushijima watches the male get out of water, his eyes slowly going back to normal. "Yes. I'll see you later as well, Ryu."