The Discovery (Haikyuu!!)

Ships: KuroTsuki, TsukiYama (but the romantic feelings are one-sided)

Word Count: 1,282

Yamaguchi walks out of the locker room, having just changed after a particularly difficult practice. Karasuno has been at the training camp for four days now, and they just work harder the further they get into the week. He walks to the edge of the building when he hears something to make his blood boil in his veins.

He hears his best friend, Tsukishima, saying things like "no" and "stop" every once in a while. But every time, he hears a low, rumbling voice responding with a humorous lilt. Yamaguchi isn't going to let his friend be hurt like this.

He steps around the corner and prepares to walk forward, but he stops dead in his tracks. If what he had heard caused his blood to boil, what he's seeing causes it to freeze in place.

Yamaguchi had expected to see his Tsukki being hurt. He had expected to see a partially clothed blond being held down by some malicious stranger. However, that isn't even close to the sight that greeted him.

He sees Tsukki being held, sure, but it isn't really against his will. His hands are fisted in front of Kuroo's shirt, his face flushed and his eyes shut lightly as the other male kisses his jaw.

"Kuroo, stop. We shouldn't do this here." He says in a breathless tone, lightly pushing at the male with perfect bedhead. The other male stands up straight, giving him a slight smirk.

Kuroo chuckles slightly, leaving a kiss on his lips as he murmurs against him. "Why not? You seem to be enjoying yourself." Yamaguchi hates it, but he has to agree with him.

Tsukki shakes his head slightly, still out of breath as he begins to look around. "Anyone could s-" At this exact moment, he makes direct eye contact with the wide-eyed male. "Shit." The blond mutters, pushing Kuroo away and causing him to stumble slightly.

Yamaguchi is already gone. He bolted as soon as they made eye contact. The brunette runs away with tears in his eyes, not stopping until he gets to the building all of the students are staying in. He finds a secluded corner and sits with his back against the wall, his knees drawn up against his chest. He wraps his arms around his knees, burying his face in them and sobbing loudly.

He knows that he logically has no right to be jealous or upset. It's not like he had ever told Tsukki how he felt, or that the middle blocker even shares his feelings. Even knowing this, he can't help but be devastated that the boy he's loved since he was a kid was making out with someone else. Especially someone that he seemed to despise.

It isn't long before the blond rounds the corner, looking down at his friend with a sigh. He shoves his hands into his pockets, cheeks burning with embarrassment. "Sorry. I--We shouldn't have done that. In public." He says awkwardly. Yamaguchi recognizes the sincerity of his words, since Tsukki rarely apologizes to anyone.

Even so, he's still upset. "Go away, Tsukishima." He says into his arms, his words chilling the other male to his core. Yamaguchi never uses his full name. It's always "Tsukki," which he refuses to allow anyone else call him.

Tsukki sits beside him with a sigh anyways. He isn't going to give up that easily. This is his best friend, after all. He's also very confused. Why is he crying? He was just making out with someone. The blond doesn't understand why he's so upset about it. "What's your problem? It's not like we're together or anything."

Yamaguchi stiffens at this, and Tsukishima finally gets it. His friend's encouraging words, the relentless apologies directed at him when he messes up in a game, everything. A small "oh" escapes his lips, causing Yamaguchi to look up and glare at him. "Yeah, "oh."" He says. Tsukki hates how red and puffy his eyes are.

He leans back against the wall, staring ahead at nothing. "I really don't know how I didn't notice." Yamaguchi lets out a small, bitter, humorless chuckle at that.

"I don't know either." The brunette replies. He sits there quietly for a moment before speaking again. "Why... Why him? I mean, there really isn't anyone you seem to like, but him?"

Tsukki sighs to keep himself from listing off all of the things he secretly likes about the Nekoma team captain. He settles for a small shrug. "He's hot, honestly." This isn't a lie; Tsukki does find the guy ridiculously attractive. Yamaguchi nods in agreement. "So, back to you. How long?"

Yamaguchi stares at the ground, a small smile on his face as a memory plays in his mind. "You remember when we were kids, and you stopped those other kids from picking on me?" He asks, but it's a rhetorical question. He knows the other remembers when they met. "Ever since then, I've been head over heels for you."

"That's... A really long time to chase after someone."

"Yeah. And it's pretty frustrating when they pick up on hints about as well as a rock."

"Hey, I could've sworn you thought I was straight!"

Yamaguchi lets out a genuine laugh at this, his arms unwrapping themselves from around his knees. "Tsukki, nobody thought you were straight." He says with a smile that crinkles the corners of his eyes.

Tsukki lets out a small "tch" in response. "Sure. Whatever."

"It's true! Why do you think Kuroo went after you?"

"Because who wouldn't?"

"No, idiot." He gently bumps his shoulder against him. "It's because he wanted to be the one to make you admit you like guys." He says softly. He can't deny that he had seen the looks Kuroo had given him, had seen the mischievous glint in his eyes when he shamelessly flirted with him.

"Huh. So... I was a conquest?" Tsukki replies, to which Yamaguchi nods. "I'll have to yell at him about that later."

"So you've never thought about me like that?" Yamaguchi asks somewhat sadly, going back to why he had been crying in the first place.

"I'd be lying if I said no." He replies honestly, looking up at the sky. "But over time, it went away. I started looking at other guys instead, and I realized that I kinda like guys that push my buttons."

Yamaguchi looks thoughtful for a moment before speaking. "So does that mean you had a thing for Kageyama?" Tsukki's blush is all he needs as confirmation. He laughs at the look on his face.

"I swear to god if you tell anyone about that--"

"You don't have any blackmail against me, Tsukki."

"I'll tell everyone you've been pining for me since we were kids!"

"You're the only person who didn't notice."

"Wait, really?"

Yamaguchi sighs, although there's a slight smile on his face. "I wasn't exactly subtle."

Tsukki thinks back to all the times he had thought Yamaguchi was just being friendly, and bows his head in shame. "Yeah. I guess you're right." Yamaguchi laughs again.

"It's okay." He says in a reassuring tone. "It's kinda my fault for never telling you. But still... Do you think there's a chance?" He asks, a tiny part of him hoping he'll forget about Kuroo and rush into his arms. But, the majority of him knows that won't happen.

Tsukishima sighs before speaking. "Look, Yamaguchi, it's not you. It's me. But," He pauses, resting a hand on his companion's shoulder.

Said male glares at him with horribly fake anger. "Don't you dare."

The blond looks at him, a cheeky grin creeping onto his face. "I hope we can still be friends."

Yamaguchi looks away from him, letting out a huff of air rather than releasing the giggle trying to claw its way out of his throat. Although, he can't help the grin that manages to creep onto his lips. "Shut the fuck up, Tsukki."