Chapter 1

Aurora's POV

"Let us remember to stay quiet and respectful so our driver is able to get us to camp safely!" Father Gabriel boomed from the front of the bus. Conversations dwindled.  Father Gabriel smiled and began calling names off a clipboard for roll.

I don't want to go to this stupid summer church camp. It feels like all these bible thumpers know I'm the odd one out. I'm the realistic out of a sea of myth-worshipping ignoramuses. The worst of them is blonde, green eyed, and 'blessed' with a heart full of God. This blonde's name is Hope and she is a good girl. Hope goes to confessionals often, makes donations to the church twice every week, and acts as if Father Gabriel might be God himself.

"Yes, Father Gabriel. I'm here!" Hope shoots her hand into the air when her name is called. I roll my eyes and scoff. Kiss up. The priest smiles wide at her and says, "Yes, my favorite girl is here! Are you excited for the trip?" To this she answers by rambling about the "many spiritual opportunities to be found in the wilderness" which is exactly what Father Gabriel wants to hear.

After my name is called and I bleakly mutter "present" while raising a limp hand, I slump against the bus window and sigh. A long 2 weeks are ahead and I don't want to talk to anyone the entire time, but I suspect Father Gabriel will quickly report to my mother on my antisocial and "spiritually stressed" behavior. The thought makes me anxious and angry that she forced me to come in the first place. "You could make friends! Good friends that know the word of God! Just give it a chance for me, Aurora, please." is what she said to me after the trip was announced last Sunday night. It's always for you, mom. Never me.

Hours of jerky bouncing and blurred trees passing my window later, Father Gabriel's voice booms once again from the front. "When we arrive at Camp Codi, the camp leaders will give you some basic rules and then you will receive a tent and matchbox. There is 1 tent for every 2 people which means I will be splitting you into partners!" At this, the bus groans about not choosing their own partner and Father Gabriel frowns. "It's for your own good. This way no one fights over a partner and no one feels left out." I laugh curtly and sigh. Any of these people left out? No, it would be just me.

The priest goes down a list, naming pairs. "Julia, you're with Elizabeth. Rico, you're with Adam. Aurora, you're with..." he makes a quick scratch with his pen, which concerns me. Is he going to make me alone? I'd prefer that to anyone else. Maybe I could just hide out in my own tent the whole time.  "Aurora, you're with Hope!" he says finally. Oh no no no, that's not going to work. Hope slowly turns around in her seat to look back at me and smile halfheartedly. She gives me a thumbs up and my jaw drops in disbelief. Maybe God is real and He's getting me back for doubting Him. Or maybe Father Gabriel just wants me to pick up some traits from Hope and start telling him all my sins every week. "Cool, that's cool." I manage to squeak.

He finishes the list and tells us there is still an hour until we reach Camp Codi. This eases me some because I'll have time to think about dealing with Hope. Suddenly there's a thump next to me and I face away from the window quickly. Green eyes and perfectly aligned teeth stare and smile at me.

"Hey, I'm Hope," she says softly. "Can I sit here? I am going to be sleeping with you for 2 weeks after all." I snort. "You'll be sleeping in the same tent as me, not with me." I tell her. Hope laughs, her green eyes crinkling and teeth nearly reflecting light with their whiteness. Then she only nods and adjusts to sit more comfortably.

For approximately 5 minutes, Hope and I keep to ourselves and I nervously watch the trees pass, worried she's attempting to stare into my soul while I'm looking away. There's a tap on my hand and I jump slightly away. "Sorry! I just wanted to get to know you," she says after jumping back herself. "Are you excited for the camp?" I don't understand why we can't just mind our own business and not speak. I clear my throat and mutter, "Um not really, no. I don't like camping." Hope shrugs. I notice that her frame is smaller than I thought and she seems only an inch or so shorter than my height of 5'9. "I don't really like camping either, but nature is supposed to be enlightening or whatever. Who knows?" she laughs and I feel as if I'm missing out on a joke. "I thought you were excited for the spiritual awakening or whatever?" I ask. Hope raises her eyebrows and actually scoffs. "That's bullshit."

Am I dreaming?

_______________________________
hey pals! if you're reading this, thank you <3