Chapter 1 (Davenport's POV)

'Horace_Is_An_Ass'

I feel a small tug pulling up the corner of my lips as I change the password to my iPhone 7. However, my expression quickly falls after running face to face in with Detective De Cruz.

Well, it was more face to chest considering the fact that he was a foot taller than me. He stares at me with a bored expression on his face, yet I can still see the slight amusement gleaming in his eyes. "Nice to see you could make it," he says stoically.

"Save it," I say while rolling my eyes. "If you'll excuse me, I have an autopsy to go perform." I quickly make my way over to the laboratory, only to be met with a tired coroner staring woozily at the cadaver.

"Let me guess," Dr. Davenport deadpans. "He woke you up at three o'clock just for this?"

The coroner nods, his eyes sagging with severe eye bags underneath them. "I was suppose to go out to dinner with my wife," he says groggily. "Hired a babysitter and everything to watch the kids so that my wife and I could also spend the night at Comfort Inn."

"And then the Detective called," I say while pulling on my green latex gloves. "Well, you know what they say. Speak of the Devil and the Devil shall appear, only De Cruz is four times as bad as Satan and you don't really need to speak off him to have him pop up out of nowhere."

The coroner—Mariano Lopez—studies my expression before finally speaking. "What's gotten you in a whirl? You're usually in a good mood. I mean, the detective called you in to perform an autopsy. Forensics are your jam."

"Yeah, well not today it's not!" I say while tilting my head playfully and smiling sarcastically. "It's my birthday, and all I wanted was a day to myself. Apparently, that's too much to ask for while working in the FBI."

Lopez's face contorts into an expression filled with pity. "Don't look at me that way!" I snap. "I don't need your pity or whatever that face means." 

I exhale deeply before finally calming down. "Sorry about that," I say with a huff. "I'm just super stressed out with always working on call and not even getting a day off. On top of that, Insomnia still has an iron grip on me."

Lopez nods in an effort to show he understands. "Shall we start?" I ask while pulling a cart full of autopsy supplies and tools next to me.

The next three hours were painstakingly difficult for both the coroner and I. However, many grotesquely interesting  things were uncovered, and I couldn't help but smile.

"Three words!" I yell as I barge into the BAU meeting room. "Anyone wanna guess what it is?"

"Dead guy murdered?" guesses Agent Gevanni.

"No," I say with a scoff. "The words are 'self cannibalism, torture, and organ trafficking'"

"That's five words," Detective De Cruz deadpans. "Anyways, what about it? Does it relate to the case?"

"No dip Sherlock," I say with a quick eye roll. "During the autopsy, I found a bunch of 'interesting things' going on in Wally Patron's body."

"What kind of interesting?" 

"Glad you asked," I say cheerily. "You see, there were so many missing things found throughout his body that it leads me to believe that whoever our unsub is, is working for an organ trafficking organization."

"Why would you think that?" Agent Armani—who was casually sitting in her chair—asks with sudden interest.

"Well, that's because half his internal organs are not currently present within his body. They have been removed with much care and precaution, indicating that our unsub has vast medical knowledge and knows how to perform surgery."

"Okay, that part makes sense," Agent Gevanni says while stroking his chestnut colored hair. "But what about the cannibalism part?"

"I was just about to get there," I say while clicking and pointing my index finger at him. "The cannibalism theory is a speculation because I found skin and flesh from his hands and chest in his stomach."

"So?"

"It means that our victim had Autosarcophagy, a condition in which he practiced eating his own body parts." I grimace for a moment, thinking of how a kind natured person like Wally could ever practice something like Autosarcophagy. 

"Or maybe the unsub tortured him by feeding him parts of his own body," De Cruz says while blowing his raven hair away from his forehead.

"Could be," I say with a shrug. "We can't really find out until we catch the murderer."

"And the torture?"

"Yes," I say while clicking my fingers. "There were multiple bruises found on his body, specifically on his neck, hands, and abdomen. Plus, his head is bashed pretty badly. The impact carried it's way to the prefrontal cortex of the brain. This indicates that he was tortured, and or had a fight with our unsub."

Just then, Agent Bertinelli barges into the room, panting and breathless with a look of sheer panic on his face. 

"The murderer has struck again!"