Chapter 4 (De Cruz's POV)

That damn school. Why does everything always go back to that damn, good-for-nothing high school?

I park my car just outside Wally's apartment building. My heart's racing and my head hurts immensely. Can't go back to that damn high school.

Dr. Davenport—who's currently sitting next to me—looks at me with a concerned expression. "What's wrong with you?" she asks. "You've been acting as strange as hell since yesterday afternoon's BAU meeting. Are you okay?"

I tug on the lapel of my blazer. "No," I answer monotonously. "Just remembered something I didn't want to."

She raises an eyebrow, still clinging onto her suspicion. "Okay," she says getting out of the car.

"Why are you here with me?" I ask while quickly catching up with her. "You're a medical examiner, you should be in the lab."

"Yeah?" she says defensively. "Well I'm also a forensic psychiatrist, and so the law allows me to come with you. Plus, if Wally's roommate says anything strange about him, I could help out with psychologically connecting it to the murder.

"Good point," I say before knocking on the door of the apartment building. The door was opened by a tall and lanky man—lanky due to his height—with a clean blonde undercut and piercing cerulean blue eyes.

"Damien?!" Dr. Davenport says with a smile on her face. "It's been such a long time since I've last seen you!" She quickly pulls him in for a hug, which Damien gladly accepts. "What are you doing nowadays?"

"Working on a huge engineering project that involves NASA," he says with a huge grin. "You know, following my dream! What are you doing nowadays?"

"Working as a medical examiner and a forensic psychiatrist for the FBI," she replies cheerily. "Following my dream as well. Anyways did you hear that Dani's working as—"

"Ahem!"

"Sorry," Dr. Davenport says sheepishly as I glare at her. 

I veer my gaze over to Damien. "Are you Wally Patron's roommate?"

"Yes."

"Have you heard about his murder?"

"Yes," Damien answers in a low voice. "It's a shame, really. We both grew up in the same neighborhood and went to the same high school. We were so close and—"

"Wait," I say raising my voice. "Did you just say that you went to the same high school as Wally?"

"Yes," he answers with confusion. "Why?"

He knows...

I quickly clear my throat. "Listen Damien, Wally's not the only one who we've found dead. There's also another woman we found murdered within a twenty four hour time range. Coincidentally, she was a teacher a Montgomery High School and her name was Olivia Tennison."

"Olivia Tennison," says Damien murmuring the name under his breath. "I feel as though I might have had her as one of my teachers. Seems like my memory has rusted a bit. Do you by chance have a picture of her?"

"Here," Dr. Davenport says while handing him a picture of her.

"Oh yeah!" he says clicking his fingers. "Now I remember! This is Mrs. Tennison, the witch that taught our Honors Algebra 2 class! Apparently, she also taught Geometry because the school was getting too lazy to hire new teachers."

"Can you tell us how they were related?"

"I don't really know about how well Wally knew her," he says while furrowing his thick and massive eyebrows. "But I do know that Wally had her for his Geometry Support Class."

"Anything specific or odd about that class?"

"Nope," he says with a shrug. "I've heard a lot of strange things about that class, but it honestly seemed fine. At least from afar."

"What kind of strange things did you hear?" Dr. Davenport asks out of curiosity.

"Well," he says stroking his chin. "There was this one incident where two students from that class disappeared while they were staying for detention after school. There was also this other thing about how the kid that committed suicide had 'special ties' with Mrs. Tennison."

"Special ties?"

"You know," he says awkwardly. "Like a romantic student teacher relationship."

"Ew," Dr. Davenport says with a shudder. "Did Wally have anything specific in that class which was odd or strange by any chance?"

"Not that I know of," he says apologetically. "Sorry."

"It's fine," Dr. Davenport and I say simultaneously. "We really should get going," I continue. "We have another family member to talk to as well. Thank you so much for the help."

"No problem," he says with a smile.

"Take care of yourself," Dr. Davenport says pulling him into a hug. His hands travel around her waist, making me cringe at the sight.

Jesus Christ, get a room.

"We should get going," I say after loudly clearing my throat. Dr. Davenport gives him a pat on the back before following behind me.

"It was nice talking to you again," Damien says as we head out the door.

"Please," she says with a light blush on her cheeks. "Call me Zoë"

"Okay," he says with a smirk. "It was nice talking to you Zoë."

Why can't I call her Zoë?