PRACTICE MATCH

Chapter Two // Practice Match

Nekoma. I don't know where I heard that name before, but I sounded awfully familiar...

***

"Cat versus Raven: battle of the Garbage Dump!" I heard Tanaka yell from behind me. I looked over my shoulder at him before bursting into a fit of giggles. That's why it sounds familiar!

We all took our turns getting on the bus. I sat beside Shoyo near the window, and Kageyama sat in front of us.

"Even though it's a practice match, I wish you the best of luck... Onii-Chan..." I mumbled softly, offering a gentle smile to my brother.

The whole bus went silent. Shoyo stared at me with adoration in his eyes before the bus exploded in 'aww's'. Everyone was complimenting me, saying that I was adorable. I giggled at all the attention I was getting as Shoyo patted my head.

***

The match isn't going so well...

Even though Karasuno has a very good team, Nekoma was better.

It makes me sad to see my team losing. But that glint in Shoyo's eyes proves that this won't be their last match. They'll win, one day.

Shoyo is always so determined! I wish I were more like him!

I looked back at Nekoma's side to see #1 give a high five to #5.

#5 was Nekoma's setter. He didn't seem all that interested in the game. I couldn't help but feel... intrigued by him.

A ball cam flying his way and in seconds, #1 spiked it and made another point. The team cheered as the all patted #5 on the back. He still had a straight face through all this as he let out an aggravated sigh.

He looked in my directions and we made brief eye contact. I looked away instantly, feeling my cheeks start to heat up.

"What are you staring at?"

My eyes wandered over to Kageyama who glared at me.

"N-nothing!" I squeaked, as he raised an eyebrow.

"N-nekoma sure are good..." I mumbled nervously to change the subject. Kageyama dropped his gaze, before turning and heading back to the court. Kageyama sure is scary... Now I knew what Shoyo meant when he said not to get on his bad side...

***

The second match was starting and guess which team won. Nekoma, of course. Their volleyball team is very talented.

Karasuno was serving. Someone hit the ball and passed it over to #5. I saw him get ready to set the ball, but right before he did, he pushed the ball on our side, catching the whole team off guard.

"Brilliant..." I whispered, as the whole gym quieted down.

"SERIOUSLY!?" Tanaka yelled in the background, as the whole gym started to get rowdy again.

Nekoma won the practice match 2-0.

"Don't worry guys, you'll beat 'em next time!" I insisted, patting Shoyo and Kageyama's back simultaneously.