7: Deep Run High

7: Deep Run High

           Almost all the girls at Deep Run High were wearing clothes and purses and heels by designers I probably couldn’t even pronounce. Even the boys wore ironed jeans with button down dress shirts or polos, their hair gelled perfectly in place. I sighed, walking out of the Main Office and into the concourse with my new schedule and map of the school in hand. A loud bell shrilled overhead and I studied the map, locating my first class.

           As I walked through the crowd of students, across the concourse, I felt their stares on me like rays of a beating sun. My cheeks felt warm, turning pink, as a trickle of sweat threatened to scurry down the back of my neck. I kept my gaze straight ahead, towards the hallway in the far corner of the school. They’re only staring because I’m new, I told myself. They didn’t know I was Jayne Hart’s daughter. 

           And when I finally gathered up enough courage to look up and meet their gazes, I felt relief wash over me. Their curious eyes watched me as I walked along a wall of lockers. I released a long breath, telling myself that being new and weird and not fitting in was far better than being pitied or treated like some wounded animal. It was at that moment I made the decision that I’d go to any length to keep it a secret. To keep from telling them my story. And, most importantly, to keep from letting it sink in, breaking me way beyond repair. 

           It wasn’t until after my fourth class, when I headed towards the cafeteria for lunch, that I saw Mase for the first time since earlier that morning. He was leaning against the wall by two vending machines, his hands shoved in the pockets of his jeans, wearing a navy blue tee. There were three blonde girls, wearing impossibly high heels, standing with him. I watched as the blonde closest to him laughed at something her friend said, while loosely gripping the top of his arm. He gave her a small smile and said something before he pushed off the wall and out of her grip, walking away. 

           I watched as he was greeted by at least a dozen different students in his short walk from the vending machines to the restrooms, nodding his head towards the boys and giving one armed hugs to the girls. I wasn't surprised that he was a part of the popular crowd. It was obvious his looks were a hit with the girls. And he was nice enough to be liked by the boys. I silently wondered if that blonde was his girlfriend. I also wondered why I cared. 

           I sighed, entering the cafeteria. Every table was filled so I headed towards the snack bar. I bought a bottle of lemonade before walking towards the doors at the back of the room. I found a set of concrete benches just outside the doors and sat down. I went to take a swing from my drink when I heard a voice behind me. 

           "You must be the new girl," she said. I turned to see a tiny girl, barely five feet tall, with shiny red hair and huge brown eyes. Her outfit wasn't outrageous like most of the other girls. She wore dark ballet flats, skinny jeans, and an oversized sweater that fell off one shoulder. 

           She didn't give me time to react. Instead, she sat on the bench across from me, setting down her tray of food. 

           "I'm Scarlett. You're Lyla, right?" she asked, her eyes glittering with excitement. She smiled big, showing off the dimple in her cheek. 

           "How do you know my name?" I asked, thinking back to my classes but not remembering seeing her in any of them. 

           "The whole school knows your name," she said, nodding her head, still smiling.