19: Fix Me, I'm Broken

19: Fix Me, I’m Broken

           “Wait, she threatened you about Mase!” Scarlett exclaimed, too loud for my liking. We were sitting in my room, talking about what happened earlier.

           “Would you keep it down? He’s down the hall,” I said, my voice low but stern. The last thing I wanted was Mase hearing about my little run-in with Tracy.

           “Really? Can we go see what he’s up to?” she asked, her eyes lighting up. She was wearing a full on smile, her dimples showing.

           “No, we can’t. And you’re practically drooling, Scar. What would Adam think?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

           She rolled her eyes. “Yeah, whatever. It’s not my fault Mase looks like a freaking model.”

           I smiled, knowing I’d thought the same thing back when I first saw Mase. And then I blushed when images of our first guitar lesson flashed through my mind. The way his body leaned over mine, his breath tickling my ear as he spoke. My face got warmer, the blush deepening, when I thought about wanting to kiss him.

           Scarlett’s voice pulled me back from the memory. “Well? What are you going to do?” she asked.

           “About what?” My thoughts were tangled. What were we talking about?

           Her eyebrows shot up on her forehead as she watched my face. “Wait, why were you blushing?”

           “I wasn’t. It’s just hot in here,” I said, fanning my face with my hand.

           “So the room suddenly got hotter after mentioning Mase,” she observed, her lips twitching as she tried to fight off a smile.

           I grabbed the pillow I was leaning on and threw it at her, which she easily dodged.

           “Shut up,” I mumbled.

           “Oh my God, you so like him.” She watched my expression, wanting a reaction. So I kept a straight face, raising an eyebrow at her.

           “At least make an attempt to defend yourself, Lyla. Even though it was written all over your face a minute ago,” she said.

           I let out a breath, pulling my knees to my chest. Of course I liked Mase. But was it in the way Scarlett was talking about? Mase made it easier to breathe. And he helped me forget. I was some girl with a broken past who needed repairing. But I wanted him to be the one to do the fixing.

           “Yeah, I like Mase. But he’s just a really good friend. I’m pretty sure I would’ve gone crazy in this house without him.” I cringed at the thought of having to take on my father and Ruth on my own. Mase was the one to keep things moving along steady, not letting the tension build up so much that it was suffocating. He kept conversations flowing during dinner and stepped in to save me when the past was brought up. How could I not like him?

           She sighed, holding the pillow against her chest as she turned to face me. “They always start out as good friends. But you’ll see, things will change.”

           “And if things do change, you’ll be the first to know. Now, what were we talking about before all of this?” I asked.

           She smiled, happy with my response. “We were talking about the drama with hooker heels at school. What are you going to do about that?”