21: I.O.U

21: I.O.U

                                                                      [Lyla’s POV]

           I woke up to the sound of low breathing against my ear and an arm draped over my stomach. I went to move but his grip tightened, pulling me back against his chest. That’s when I remembered last night, an instant blush staining my cheeks. I wasn’t expecting him to hear me wake up from that nightmare, but the moment he came to my room and pulled me into his arms, I was glad he did.

            As much as I liked waking up to the feeling of Mase Dean holding me, I cringed at how desperate I must’ve sounded when I asked him to stay. I couldn’t forget the soft look in his concrete eyes though, as his fingers got lost in my hair and he whispered goodnight. 

           I felt a weight in my stomach, realizing Mase was just being nice. He was just being friendly. If any other girl asked him to stay like I had last night, he would’ve done it. Because Mase’s heart was pure. And if there were only a handful of good people left in this world, he would be one of them.

           His grip on my waist tightened again when I turned to face him, bringing me ever so close to his heartbeat. I listened to the soft thuds as I pressed up against his chest. I knew then that last night changed things. The way his eyes held mine and his arms cradled my scattered soul and how his words dug deep into my skin, moving towards my heart to calm its frantic beating.

           Things changed because Mase found a way in. He weaved through my defenses, breaking down walls I’d built so high, keeping the onlookers from peeking inside. I didn’t just want to tell him about my mother, but I needed to.

           I needed to take him to our old house, up to my mother’s room, where I hoped I could still smell her perfume. That’s where I’d unlock the box of secrets I kept hidden. I needed him to heal me, to help me keep these scars from marking me permanently. I almost smiled at the thought of telling Mase everything. I could only imagine the lightweight feeling that would push through my veins and settle in my heart.

           I raised my hand, tracing the line of his jaw with my thumb. And as my fingers found his hair, running through the soft locks, he stirred awake. I pulled away, watching as his eyes fluttered open and focused on me. A confused look played across his face before he smiled.

           “Hey there,” he said, his voice thick.

            "Hi,” I said, smiling. “I’m sorry about last night.”

            There was a flicker of sadness in his eyes, but his smile stayed in place. “Don’t be sorry. Are you okay?” he asked.

            I shook my head. “No, not yet,” I whispered. “But I want to be.”

           His hand moved from my waist, traveling up my arm and along my neck, cupping the side of my face. He made no moves to put distance between our bodies, and I didn’t either. “You will be. I promise.” 

           I nodded before asking, “And what about you? Are you okay?” 

           He sighed, looking defeated. He wore a sad smile and said, “I really don’t know anymore.” His voice was so low; I barely made out the words. 

            “Be okay for me. So I can be fine, too,” I said. His eyebrows pulled together as he watched me, taking in my words. And my fingertips followed the length of his arm, awaiting his response. He stayed silent while moving forward and pressing his forehead against mine. His fingers fell into the spaces between mine, where they belonged all along.