Chapter two: Call of Duty

Evelyn crawled under her blanket, with her best friend walking into her bedroom. "What happened?" Laressa asks, crawling under the sheets with her.

"Jacob..." Evelyn stuttered, trying to hold back the tears.

She didn't even have to finish her sentence and Laressa knew what was wrong. "Oh hon. I'm so sorry. Wanna go get ice cream?" She asks, smiling big.

"Sure, but I wanna drive." 

"Okay." Laressa responds, smiling.

Evelyn crawls out from under the black and white polk a dot comforter, brushes her hair down with her fingers and checks her makeup. She steps into the hallway, grabbing her purse from the chair next to her door; tripping over some of her brother's stuff that was left in the hallway. Just when she thought she was gonna smack the floor, she fell into the strong arms of Zac Efron. "Oh, thank you." She says, standing up straight and straightening her t shirt.

"Sure." He says, smiling.

Evelyn looks down to what tripped her. A Nike duffle. She picked it up and stormed to her brothers room. She threw it in the floor. "Pick up your shit next time so I don't almost kill myself again. Jesus. Laressa and I are leaving."

"Where are you going?"

"To get ice cream."

"Bring me some."

"No. It's girl time. Boys are retarded." She says, turning to leave. She turned to see Zac standing there. She walks over to him and says, "Do you want anything?"

"I thought boys were retarded." Zac says, grinning.

Evelyn leans in and quietly says, "Only my brother." She and Zac both smile.

"I heard that!" They hear Josh scream from his room. 

Zac and Evelyn both laugh and Zac says, "No, I'm good. Thank you though. Go have your girl time."

"Okay." She says, smiling. She calls to her brother, "If I'm not back in an hour, don't come looking for me. I've run away and I'm never coming back." 

"Okay." She hears Josh call back.

She and Zac laugh again and she says, "Bye." 

xXxXxXx

Evelyn walks back into the house after going to get ice cream. She slips off her glitter flats as she sees Zac and Josh have changed from Josh's room to the family room and are now watching tv. "Hey." She says, hanging her bag on the back of a chair.

"Where's my ice cream?" Josh asks.

"Boy's are retarded." Evelyn says, walking up the stairs. "That's where your ice cream is."

"You butt." Josh calls after her.

"You love me!" He hears her call from upstairs. Zac chuckles and Josh reaches over, punching him in the arm.

"Dude, what the heck! That fricken hurt!" Zac calls out.

"Baby." Josh responds.

"Oh yeah?!" Evelyn hears Zac scream. She pops down the stairs just in time to see Zac throw her brother on the ground and tackle him. "Who's the baby now?" He screams. Evelyn giggles and catches Zac's attention. He loses focus getting lost in her laugh and Josh gets loose from his grip and puts him in a headlock.

"You were saying?" Josh asks, mocking Zac.

"Shut up, Josh." Zac says, shoving him off of himself.

Evelyn laughs and walks into the kitchen, getting herself a glass of water. Zac followed and did the same. "So what are you doing this weekend?" Zac asks, leaning onto the fridge while he filled his cup with ice and water.