Chapter seven: Driving through the dark

It was Zac's turn to drive, so they pulled over and switched seats. Evie crawled into the passenger seat where Laressa had been sitting only moments before. She smiled at Zac before he started up the engine again.

"You gonna go to sleep?" Zac whispered, trying not to wake anyone. Evie shook her head before looking out the window. "Come on, darlin. You need sleep." He says, starting to drive.

"I can't." Her voice trails.

Zac, concerned and confused asks, "What do you mean?"

"Baby, I've never had nightmares this frequent... I'm too scared to go back to sleep. They're scaring me, I've never, ever had them this often, and it's scaring the shit out of me." Zac reached over and grabbed Evie's hand, and with that, they sat in silence.

After a few hours of driving through the dark, Evie heard Zac yawn. "Do you want me to drive?" She asked, as Zac rubbed his hand over his face. 

"Um, no. I think I'll be okay. Thanks though. I know you might not want too, but you should probably get some sleep, babe."

"No, I'm okay, Zac. Really. You should get some sleep. I can drive if you'd like." 

"It's alright. I'll be okay." Zac said as he changed lanes. 

"It's kind of foggy out. You might want to turn on the low beams, hon."

Zac nodded, and as he reached for the lights. When Evie looked up, The fog cleared and they smashed into the back of a semi truck.

Evie screamed, and then she blacked out.

(Sorry this chapter is so short. Next one will be longer, I promise.)