{ 1.2 }

PART 1, CHAPTER 2

• • •

It had been a few days since Bella had moved in with the Stilinskis and since then, she had noticed a difference in herself. She was no longer haunted by nightmares, she and Stiles had clicked very well, and the hole in her heart was finally filled. 

She was currently getting ready for her first day of school with Stiles when her phone rang. Without looking at the caller ID, she accepted the call.

"Hello?" Her voice came out a bit airy as she was concentrated on putting on her shoes while searching for her keys and wallet. She was so immersed in what she was searching for that it took her a few moments to register the voice on the other end of the line.

"Bella?"

As soon as Jacob's voice registered in her mind, she froze and almost lost her balance. She stumbled but caught herself just in time and pulled the phone away from her ear to see it was indeed Jacob's number. She clutched the device in a tight grip and returned it to her ear.

"Jake," she breathed out. "Hey."

"Hey."

It was awkward between the two. They didn't know what to say to one another.

Before she had left, Jacob had started pushing Bella away, but she wouldn't let him, which is how she figured out the whole Quileute shapeshifting gene. Not long after the discovery, Charlie had sent Bella away and she hadn't had contact with anyone, but her dad. Not even with her mother.

"Uh, what's up?" Bella finally asked. She immediately shook her head at what she had just said and took a seat on her bed, which now had a purple and gray duvet instead of being plain.

Jacob chuckled. "I see you're still the same Bella."

"Who else would I be?" Bella smiled.

Jacob cleared his throat. "So, um, is there a chance you're coming to visit any time soon?"

Bella opened her mouth to answer when her door burst open, Stiles strutting in rambling about something. He was searching her room with his eyes while talking, not at all noticing that she was on the phone.

"Have you seen my black flannel? I haven't been able to find it and I searched everywhere! Even in the pile of dirty clothes on my floo— are you wearing my black flannel?"

Bella was so caught off guard, it took her a few stutters before she answered Stiles. "Yeah. I didn't think you would be wearing it today and it went well with my outfit."

They took each other's appearances in and shared a blank look. They were matching again. Both were wearing grey shirts, black jeans, and their hair was brushed away from their face. They hadn't meant to match, but they did it often without meaning to.