{ 1.05 }

Part 1, Chapter 5

• • •

It had been a few days since that box had been mysteriously given to them, and whilst Bella seemed all too content to forget its existence most of the time in favor of Dean, Stiles didn't. Despite not being able to get Ingrid, the girl he had met at Rousseau's the other night out of his head, he didn't make any effort to contact her. But she did.

He had gone through the rest of the things in the box. There were more photos of him and Bella. Sometimes they were together, sometimes they weren't. The photos showed a lot of people he didn't recognize but felt he knew. But what surprised him the most was that Ingrid was in those photos, as well as Klaus. Stiles couldn't help but feel that it was all connected in some way. It was driving him insane not knowing.

Bella noticed him going insane and it was worrying her. She knew that he was irritated with her about not caring about the box as much as he did, but something deep inside her told her that the box was something that would only bring death and danger. It was like her instincts were telling her not to mess with the box of mementos.

"You're ignoring suspicious evidence over some silly feeling?!"

Bella rolled her eyes and closed her locker. She didn't even turn to look at Stiles as she followed the rush of students leaving the school, hand clenching in annoyance around her bag strap.

"That box is nothing more than some stupid prank," she reiterated through gritted teeth, "not evidence from a crime scene. Though, seeing as it's a prank, it could be a crime scene." The last part was muttered mainly to herself.

"I don't get how you don't seem to care about the box," Stiles argued back. "Someone obviously wanted us to have it for a reason. Doesn't that make you suspicious?"

Unexpectedly, Bella turned on her heel, coming face to face with a stumbling Stiles who had barely stopped in time not to collide with her. She was glaring at him, though not in anger, but rather something akin to panic and fear.

"Whoever left the box is messing with us," she began in a quiet voice, just then noticing the attention they were receiving from some of the students that littered nearby. "And honestly, that box is bad news. It's not a feeling. It's a fact. Plus, now that Katie is dead, we need to find new jobs because it doesn't look like the Jardin Gris is opening up again under new management."

Stiles would have tried to argue back, but deep down, he knew she was right. Still, he was going to figure out the mystery of the box with or without her.

Catching the keys to his car from Bella, Stiles took his spot behind the wheel and started the car. As he was pulling out of the parking spot, Dean darted out behind the car causing Stiles to slam his foot on the brake.

"Is your boyfriend purposely trying to get himself killed?" Stiles seethed to the girl at his right.

Bella rolled her eyes and mumbled how Dean wasn't his boyfriend before rolling down the window and sticking her head out. They hadn't really talked since the night he confessed all about New Orleans supernatural community that night. A night which seemed a long time ago now.