Chapter Seven

Several days passed, Kakashi quickly regaining strength and energy with the careful aid of his partner, and the watchful eyes of his adopted son.

He was eager to be back at full capacity, longing to train again, beginning to feel rather guilty for being so helpless.

Sasuke, where he didn't enjoy seeing his Sensei bed-ridden, did revel in being able to help and serve. He took on the majority of the cooking and house chores, allowing Yamato to tend to his lover, lingering in the hallways to listen to them laugh, cringing slightly at their frequent flirtatious exchanges. His favorite, however, being the moments he would hear his name pass between them, and the moments Kakashi would bring him in just to chat. Of course, the teen complained outwardly how much of a drag it was to babysit an irresponsible, bed-ridden Jonin, Kakashi bantering back with him that he sounded like Shikamaru in all his belly-aching. Inwardly though, his heart yearned to be called in by his adopted father, savoring the moments at his side.

By the end of the week, The Copy Ninja was up and about, chomping at the bit to go out and train again with his boy. Yamato stilled his eagerness for a day or two longer, his lover soon unable to hold himself back any longer.

In the early morning, he crawled on top of his brunette partner, begging in a quiet whisper, "Please let me go out and train today. I'm fully recovered, Tenzo."

He traced kisses along Yamato's jaw, hands curling into short, messy hair.

"Maybe..."

Groaning, Kakashi rolled his head back, "Come on, please. How can I convince you?"

Yamato's dark eyes widened.

"Now you're talking..."

They moved together in tender kisses, hands fanning and fawning over one another, breaking with a smile and a flush between them.

"Go," Yamato grinned. "Go train with our boy. Just save some strength for me later? I've missed the bossy command of my Captain."

"Oh, I always have strength to boss you around, Kohai," He smirked in response, whispering into his lover's ear, "You just better make sure you save your strength too, you're going to need it."

Taking a moment to dress and cool, Kakashi flitted down the hall, bursting into Sasuke's room, enthusiastically waking his student.

His enthusiasm wasn't returned.

"Go away, Kakashi!" The Uchiha groaned, tugging sheets over his head, and burying his face into his pillow. "It's too early."

"You've been without training for far too long now. Resting with no need." The Copy Ninja pulled open the blinds, the light of a soft sunrise pouring in. "How is it that I am the one that was bed-ridden from exhaustion, and it is you who is arguing to sleep rather than train?"

"Because, you're old and have nothing better to do with your life. Get out of my room. We train can once the sun is actually up."

The silver-haired shinobi gave a sigh, pretending to relent and head for the door.

"Fine, fine. Have it your way. But, I would hate for you to regret these extra hours of sleep when Naruto returns home from his training expedition with one of the Legendary Sanin and has surpassed you."

Sasuke shot up, sheets thrown to the floor in a bundle, eyes and hair wild.

"Like hell he'll surpass me!"

They were out in the training field within the half hour.

However, actually being there, with the sun peeking between tree branches, dew still fresh on thick blades of grass, birds just beginning to sing and soar, Sasuke's stomach began to churn. Longing to take a step forward, to share of his heart, to release the tight grip on vengeance, on hatred that ate away at him, he couldn't fathom the idea of actually doing so. Standing there, it all seemed too painful, too terrifying, too much a part of him.