Chapter Nine

Audrey's POV

One Month Later (1 day before the challenges)

How had one month gone by so quick?

It felt like just yesterday when Queen Julianna told me about the challenges, and now here I was at Vichering Castle a month later.

I'll admit, I was kind of nervous. I wasn't scared because I know exactly what I'm getting myself into here. I'm only nervous because I'm competing against vampires on the exact same level as me. That, and if I get to the final challenge and don't win, I'll be leaving Clara.

That thought alone was enough to push me through.

Currently, myself along with the four other candidates are seated around the dining room table waiting for the Queen's arrival.

I had no idea why we were here and from the looks on everyone's faces, they didn't know anything either,

"So Audrey," Caztiel started, "That girl you came with, is she available?"

I leant back in my chair and looked over at him blankly, "First of all, she's a woman. No, she is not available so it would be in your best interests to keep your eyes and hands off of her."

"Why? You fucking her?"

As annoyed and angry as I was on the inside. I knew better than to show it. I was smarter than that,

"No, but I am with her. Save the shit for the challenges Verona."

He smirked and crossed his arms over his chest, "When I'm King, she'll come around, they always do."

The Verona family may be one of the most obnoxious and stuck-up families I've ever met. They believed that they were above everyone and everyone else was merely a peasant compared to them.

Caztiel is, for better words, a dick.

The double doors opened behind us and we all stood up and bowed our heads as the Queen walked into the room.

When she sat down at the head of the table, we all sat back down in our seats,

"I apologise for calling you all in a day early. I understand you probably want to spend this day with your family, friends and loved ones but this won't take long."

She scanned the room briefly before speaking again, "Tomorrow is the first challenge. It's one I like to call Deal Breaker. Every kingdom will be attending a dinner tomorrow. Now it's up to you, to make a deal with a kingdom. It can be anything you want; money, allies, an army, it doesn't matter. The candidate who manages to broker the best deal will win. Take into account the statistics of each kingdom. For example, the highest ranked. That is the only tip I'll give you. The one who fails to broker a deal or their deal proves to be the least beneficial to the vampire kingdom, is out of the competition."

Carley raised her hand and the Queen gestured for her to talk, "Whoever gets the wolf kingdom will automatically win won't they? They are number one in the ranks."

The Queen shook her head, "Does anyone want to explain why Miss Lewis is incorrect?"

Everyone stayed quiet so I rolled my eyes and leant forward, "It's still about the deal you make. You could get the wolves and make a deal about money, whereas I could get the mages and make the same deal. At the end of the day, I would be the one to win because the mages have more money than the wolves, despite their rank being lower."

Carley nodded in understanding and I glanced at the clock briefly before looking back at the Queen,

"Exactly. Thank you, Miss Sullivan. You can all spend today with your families again. Think long and hard about what deals you want to make because once you agree on a deal, it will be put into place officially the moment you become King or Queen." We all nodded, "Dinner tomorrow will be served at six o'clock sharp. Do not be late. It doesn't give a good impression."