Chapter Twelve

Clara's POV

As I stood behind the double doors of the throne room, I thought about my next steps. Queen Anneliese said that the magic would make me react differently, but I knew I didn't want to react too differently.

Magic has no effect on me so I had to make it look believable, in a way where they think I've been affected but also make it seem like I'm not acting.

From behind the doors, I heard a guard shout out, "Next case! Prisoner number two-two-one-two, Clara Alexandra Reynolds on trial for the attempted murder of Queen Julianna Vichering!"

Attempted murder. I really wish they had accused me of something just a little less serious. Attempted murder was punishable by death, plain and simple. Everyone knew that and if Audrey sentenced me to anything less, it means she let her emotions get the better of her and that is unacceptable as a ruler.

It's harsh but it's also true.

The double doors opened in front of me and the guards held my arms behind my back as we all walked into the room.

When we stopped in front of Audrey and the Queen, I barely got a chance to look at them before I was pushed down onto the ground, making me kneel before them both.

The room stayed silent for a while and I refused to lift my head up. I knew Audrey was staring at me and I didn't want to see the expression that I knew was most probably on her face right now.

Pain. Hurt. Anguish. Confusion. Fear.

I couldn't see it but I knew it was there. I knew her.

"Clara Reynolds, for the charge of attempted murder on a royal, how do you plead?"

I let out a deep breath before replying with my head still down, "Guilty."

A hand was placed on my head, and it abruptly lifted my head up to face Audrey,

"You will raise your head and look at her Ladyship!"

Audrey's eyebrows furrowed slightly. Only slightly. I knew her well enough though, to know that that meant she was starting to get annoyed or frustrated but didn't want to show it.

"You will release your hands from her immediately." She spoke in a calm but deadly voice. She knew she had to get a hold of her emotions, but it was clear that it was starting to get difficult,

"But my Lady-"

Audrey cut him off by raising her hand, "Immediately."

He released his hand from me and although I was looking at Audrey, I avoided eye contact completely. I couldn't look into her eyes. Not now. Not in the situation we were in. If I did, I would give myself away and I couldn't do that to Audrey.

"Although she has plead guilty, I would like to know what has led to the conclusion that she has committed the crime. Show me the evidence."

I heard the double doors open behind me but I didn't even bother to turn and look. No matter what was said today, it would be damning. No matter what was done, I would be sentenced.

"Witnesses." One of the guards spoke up.

Queen Julianna was good.

I know she said these challenges were going to test the candidates but this was something else entirely.

Putting loved ones on trial to test their true judgement under pressure. It was genius really, and although I was the one in this situation, I had to give her credit where credit is due.