Chapter Fifteen

Clara's POV

Today was the day.

The final challenge. The fight to the death. The day that I could potentially lose Audrey.

Don't get me wrong, Audrey was a strong woman and I knew she could defend herself both physically and verbally but she was up against Caztiel Verona, most probably the worst person she could be up against at this point.

Caztiel was, for better words, a dick. He knew what he wanted and he didn't care who he hurt in the process to getting there. He played dirty and in a competition like this, at this stage in the game, playing dirty meant getting killed. It wasn't a laughing matter now.

I was worried for Audrey and I was annoyed that she isn't as worried as I am. She was so blasé about all of this that it was getting on my nerves.

Either she was scared but didn't want to show it, or she genuinely wasn't scared at all and if that was the case, I would question her mental state.

Vampire or not, noble or not, she had emotions. She felt fear and I just wished she would show me that every now and again. I wished she showed me a little bit of vulnerability to let me know that despite being a vampire, she still had a bit of humanity left in her. Was I really asking for too much?

Before I could contemplate answering that question, I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist from behind. From the shivers that ran through my body, I had no trouble knowing that it was Audrey,

"Penny for your thoughts? Or maybe a hundred? Seeing as your worth more than a penny."

There we go again. I didn't know whether her humour was a defence mechanism but that right there is what frustrates me.

I sighed and removed her arms from around my waist, turning around so that I was directly facing her. She looked at me confused,

"Are you okay?" She asked me worriedly and I tilted my head slightly,

"Shouldn't I be asking you that question? I'm not the one about to go off and participate in a fight to the death."

She shrugged and I groaned out in frustration, "Give me something Audrey! Show me something!"

"What are you talking about?" She asked confused. I pointed a finger at her, feeling the frustration and anger rise up in my chest,

"You. I'm talking about you. You show me nothing but humour and sarcasm when you're about to go into a death match! Is that all you feel?! Is that really all you can show me?!"

"Sweetheart, I-" I cut her off immediately and took a step towards her,

"No! Cut the bullshit! I'm asking you this once to just tell me how you really feel. Please."

She looked directly into my eyes for a few seconds before shaking her head, "I don't feel anything."

I pushed her backwards, "Tell me the truth!"

"I am telling you the truth!" I pushed her backwards again, making her take a step back. I knew when she was lying and she was lying through her teeth right now,

"Tell me the truth Audrey!" She shook her head so I pushed her again, "React! Show me some emotion! You walk about with a barrier put up, fooling everyone into thinking that you don't care or you don't feel scared. I know you better than that so for once in your fucking life, show me you feel something and tell me the truth!!"

As I was about to push her again, she grabbed my wrists and abruptly turned us around so that my back was up against the wall. Her eyes had darkened slightly so I knew I had finally gotten to her,