The Basics

Those few days at Bobby's turned out to be the better days of my hunter life. Uncle Bobby was more of a father than my dad, John ever was in the past few days. I still haven't adjusted to the life that we had to live now.

But, we were still at Bobby's, dad was still on that hunting trip. Sam was now 3 years old and he would soon start asking questions about things, dad and mom. It was going to be a nightmare for me. I didn't want little Sammy to feel and see what I went through as a little child. It was really heartbreaking sometimes.

When I was starting to cozy up at Bobby's, dad came again and said, "Dean, we will start your training again. Wake up at 6 tomorrow. Okay?"

"Yes dad."

I was not thrilled. For once I wanted my normal life back but I knew I couldn't. But I also knew that dad was just trying to protect us from the harm's way. Dad never really was what he was before mom died. Dad never really bothered about taking much care of Sam and me, his obsession of finding the thing that killed was the only thing that he could think of. Dad's obsession had made me realize that I wouldn't ever get back my normal APPLE PIE LIFE. The picket fences, the green backyard, the laughter and MOM was gone forever now and most importantly Sam was left motherless. 

*Next day*

I woke up at 6 sharp and dad was already up. He was all ready with all the tools and other things. I wasn't exactly happy to see that but I had to bear with this, just for Sammy, because I had to protect him. He was my little Sammy and I couldn't let anything happen to him. It was my duty.

As usual, I sat in the car and we had a long silent car drive to some abandoned place. 

When we reached there, dad made me shoot at targets.  But that day came to be one of the most important lessons for my hunter life. HE TAUGHT ME THE BASICS.

Dad said, "Listen to me carefully. Today I am going to tell you some important things. Things that you could use to protect your little brother and yourself."

The saving Little Sammy part had already got my attention. 

So, Dad went on, "So, Dean listen. I've taught you what everything I know about guns and self defense. Just remember be careful of the recoil. Now, the most important thing about saving yourself is that don't think about who is standing at the end of the gun. You just have to shoot. You understand, Dean."

"Yes, dad."

"And the most important thing is that SHOOT FIRST AND ASK QUESTIONS LATER."