Three

I slipped out of the tub, made sure to close the door behind me, and got myself dressed in the clothes I brought in. I took a steady breath before stepping outside. I heard Terry's voice. He was talking to someone. Let's just pretend the last five minutes never happened.

"Hey," I greeted as I stood on the threshold leading to the living room. They were sitting on my makeshift bed, a.k.a. Terry's couch.

"Andy, I would like you to meet Andrew," Terry said proudly. He was smiling from ear to ear as he said those words. It was the first time I saw him glow with happiness since I met him.

I walked towards the couch and offered Andrew my hand, which he shook without hesitation. "Nice meeting you, Andrew," I said with a friendly smile. "Do you two need some time alone?" I asked Terry after releasing Andrew's hand.

"No. We're good," he replied with a small smile and then looked away.

I can see from the way Terry blushed and turned away that he felt embarrassed.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you something this morning. Are you still looking for a job?" Terry asked when his expression turned back to normal. One of his eyebrows slightly rose in question when I didn't reply.

"Yes, I'm still looking," I said after a moment, glancing at Andrew on the couch, who just looked clueless. When he caught me looking at him, he looked sheepish and quickly averted his gaze.

"A friend of mine is looking for an assistant. It pays well," he said, emphasizing the last part. He knew I needed the money and a job which pays well would be very welcome—as long as it didn't involve anything illegal.

I stayed silent as I thought of an appropriate reply. After a few moments, Andrew broke the tense mood when he stood up. "I think I'll be going now. I still have some things to finish up."

Terry jumped up from his seat and turned to Andrew. "I'll see you out. Andy and I have to get to work in a few minutes, anyway," he said softly to him.

Andrew nodded in reply and turned to me with a friendly smile. "It was nice meeting you, Andy, and I apologize about earlier," he said as he stood up from the couch.

I stayed in the living room and sat in my makeshift bed while I waited for Terry to come back. He probably wouldn't be returning for a couple of minutes, so I took that time to get ready for work. When I was done, and he still didn't turn up, I sat on the couch again and waited for him. By the time he did, he abruptly stopped a foot away from the couch, looking at me with curiosity.

"You're very friendly and accommodating today. Why is that?" he asked, eyeing me suspiciously.

"Is it that hard to believe? I don't always have a foul mood."

"True. But you looked like you wanted to say more," he said with a soft chuckle as he sat beside me. "So are you ready to go?" he asked, looking at me from head to toe.

"This doesn't look ready for you?" I asked, feeling a little insulted. Apparently my plain white shirt, jumper, and Converse weren't an appropriate outfit for him.

"I may not be the kind of guy you expect, but I still know fashion, woman," he stated cockily, his lips twitched in amusement.

I lightly punched his shoulder before standing up. "Let's go before I hurt you again. I don't want to murder anyone, yet. It's still too early in the evening for that," I said as I grabbed my jacket and satchel, shaking my head in amusement.

~~~~

Peak hours in the restaurant started at seven in the evening. Naturally, I was jumping from table to table, taking orders, and serving meals. The night started out like any other. The only difference was I didn't have a whole roster of "douches" to serve.